Canon 40D VS Nikon D80

garrettm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to figure out which one to buy. Now i've done my fair share of research on each but im still stuck. Now I'm leaning torwards the Canon because the 6.5 fps and all the positive reviews ive been reading and watching. I just wouldnt mind some opinions.

I will throw out there that i am an amateur and have had some photography classes so am familiar and comfortable with all the manual functions a dslr comes with.

I will mostly be taking pictures of sports, landscape, and family/friends.

If there any other suggestions for a different camera other than these two, by all means feel free to speak up.

The 40D should wipe the floor with the D80 in just about every category. I think it might be a bit more even between the 40D and D90.

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy. Now i've done my fair share of research on each but im still stuck. Now I'm leaning torwards the Canon because the 6.5 fps and all the positive reviews ive been reading and watching. I just wouldnt mind some opinions.

I will throw out there that i am an amateur and have had some photography classes so am familiar and comfortable with all the manual functions a dslr comes with.

I will mostly be taking pictures of sports, landscape, and family/friends.

If there any other suggestions for a different camera other than these two, by all means feel free to speak up.
i'm a newcomer, but if you're planning on sports, then go with the canon. there is no way you can do without the extremely fast autofocus and quick continuous shot it will offer...nikons are not particularly designed for sports

Yeah, thats why im leaning torwards it.
Now does Canon have quick AF lenses as well?

Yep, which one to get depends on your budget. Just read reviews to see what lenses are suited to what.

the 40d is in between the d90 and the d300.

i'm a newcomer, but if you're planning on sports, then go with the canon. there is no way you can do without the extremely fast autofocus and quick continuous shot it will offer...nikons are not particularly designed for sports

Nikons not designed for sports? Not to bust your chops but last I checked complaints about the 1dmk3 and its shoddy AF system are still aplenty given though some do work fine.

I haven't heard of any significant problems in the AF chips used for the D300/700 and D3.

To answer the OP's question, go with the 40D, its better sealed, 6.5 FPS, and is generally a better bang for the buck than the D80

Nikons not designed for sports? Not to bust your chops but last I checked complaints about the 1dmk3 and its shoddy AF system are still aplenty given though some do work fine.

I haven't heard of any significant problems in the AF chips used for the D300/700 and D3.

To answer the OP's question, go with the 40D, its better sealed, 6.5 FPS, and is generally a better bang for the buck than the D80

I agree. Despite being a Nikonian. You will get more for the buck from the 40D. I have a D80 and love it but, since you are apparently new and, not locked into a system because of glass, go for the better value. Also have you handled both cameras as well that could be a deciding factor as well.

wow. Seriously? Lol

11 Fps and 51 point af is for shooting that unpredictable model...

To answer the op, get the 40d

It seems that the general opinion is that for sports (and most everything else) the 40d is the favorite over the d80.

my question is how would a 450d compare to a 40d? The only major differences I can see is sensor size and FPS. The 40d shoots 6.5 while the 450d is only 3.5, but the 450d is 12.2mp vs 10.2 in the 40d. Plus the 450 is something over $200 less.

any opinions?

thanks, matt

For sports the 40D is hands down the better choice-- it has better AF on top of faster frames per second, which are the two biggies for sports work. The two megapixels are pretty inconsequential.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice

I think i'll be closely looking at the xsi now. it seems pretty legit with the quicker AF, 3.5 fps, and its got the same anti-dust as the 40D. Its cheaper as well by a couple hundred bucks, which is always a good thing.

All I've been reading for the last 45 minutes is how well the performance is with the xsi. i read and watch nothing but good reviews. It usually out performs a comparison with another DSLR of the same type and price range

The XSi is far inferiour than the 40D. You are talking about 2 totally different teired bodies. Rebels are not in the same league as a D90 or 40D.

-JD-

Just bumping for more opinions...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back