Canon 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens???

Heres my main concern similar to sw1tchfx's thoughts ..... if this is a lens ill be walking around with i might want/need the capability to stop it down to get a higher quality shot and i dont know if ill get that with the sigma. I have rarely shot with my lens above 2.8 but as i become more familiar with using flash it'll be nice to shoot with a narrower aperature (pending on distance of subject of course). I guess the best thing to do is go to a camera store and take shots with both of them. Derrel thinks the sigma is the way to go, but will it be that same "walk around, lens of choice" that i feel my 50mm 1.8 WAS on my camera?

the sigma will be fine, i'ts just when you look too close it's different. I'm not sure about how the Canon 1.4 performs compared to the nikon 50mm.

i wouldn't let a little corner softness stop you, it's not like the difference is huge when they're both shot at f/8.

im upset because the camera shop by my house doesnt stock it :/ ...... the downfall to living in south jersey

im upset because the camera shop by my house doesnt stock it :/ ...... the downfall to living in south jersey
You're not too far from Adorama or B&H. I'm sure if you didnt want to drive there, an online order would be pretty quick.

That will depend more on what camera you have. If you have an APS-C camera, the 50 mm f/1.4 is the correct focal length for shooting portraits. If on the other hand, if you have a full frame or APS-H sensored lens, the 85 mm f/1.8 is the correct length lens for shooting portraits.

There is no "correct" focal length for portraits.... have fun.. use the entire bag of lenses. Experiment... and understand how the different focal lengths do work. In general, medium telephotos are popular.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back