Canon EF50mm f/1.8

pborgbarthet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of buying the Canon EF50mm f/1.8 lens for night time corcert and dance performance shots on stage - possibly without using flash. The only thing putting me off slightly is that it is not a zoom lens and also the low price...

I'd appreciate if someone could give me any experienced advice regarding this lens for this particular use (I will oviously be using it for other occasions too) ? Will be using it on my Canon EOS 350D.

Thanks

The price for this lens is low but you are getting a quality piece of glass. the only drawback is the limited focal-length this generally would have to be used in conjunction with other lenses.

the lens is awesome....and you can always use your legs as the zoom =P

I have heard that this is a very good lens and the lower price is due to it's somewhat simple design (compared to a zoom lens).

I have the Nikon counterpart and it's on the camera constantly. AMAZING photos with it!

Sharp and fast and cheap..... what more do you want?

If you feel that 50mm may be too short, look at the 85mm f1.8. More expensive but a better lens in everyway. Build, bok, sharpness, consistency etc.

I have heard that this is a very good lens and the lower price is due to it's somewhat simple design (compared to a zoom lens).

as well as the build quality. Fairly low on the lens, but the sharpness you get from this 80 dollar treasure makes it well worth the plastic feel IMO.

For some reason, I thought we were talking about the 85mm F1.8 :roll:

Yes, the 50mm F1.8 is a cheap plastic lens that has some great glass. For the price, it's hard to go wrong.

It is true...The Canon 50mm F/1.8 MK II is a really good prime lens optically even without bringing its price into consideration! :cool:

I do know that this lens has very good center sharpness wide opened, and outstanding center sharpness and excellent border sharpness at F/5.6. (From F/5.6 onwards, the lens remains bitingly sharp; according to graphs.)

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is the only lens I currently have and I love it.

i asked pretty much the same question in my very first post and am thinking about buying it. sounds like a great deal all around.

I use the 50mm for all my portrait and gig work.
I'd love to upgrade to the 85mm 1.8 at some point, but when I can afford it :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back