Canon EOS 1D Mark III (that's 3)

i agree, i disipointed that the M3 is not full frame

I"m not.... IIRC there was some discussion about the uniquness of the 1d mark II and its 1.3 crop.

1.6x crop - looses some of the dramatic wide angle with short focal lengths but seems to work in favor to those with telephoto focal lengths.
full frame - nice dramatic wide angle but does so fringing and vinette at the edges.

The 1d MarkII was/is a nice middle ground at 1.3x... I've heard this on many forums from amateurs and pros alike.. I tend to agree...

OT..

I don't get it? Sometimes I feel the general photopublic gets all obsessed about numbers with a certain predefined notion that one is better...

Full Frame isn't necessarily better than a smaller sensor....
More MegaPixels isn't alway better...
Faster aperture lenses are not always better than slower lenses...
etc..

I have a 1DMIIn the improvements I want are:

1) Improved auto focus or add zone auto focus to help eliminate background focus, why.

I shot a lot of wakeboarding, in the line of site of the first kicker at park i shot at is a water tower it’s more that thousand feet behind the kicker. Often on panning shots I lose aim on the riders and AF picks-up on the tower

2) Sensor cleaning similar to the 400d

3) Full frame with digital zooms of 1.3, 1.6 and 2.0 why to save editing/cropping time, Nikon already has 2.0 digital zoom on some models

3) Full frame with digital zooms of 1.3, 1.6 and 2.0 why to save editing/cropping time, Nikon already has 2.0 digital zoom on some models

It is my understanding that a digital zoom of 1.3 will capture around 77% of the Full frame, 1.6 will capture 62.5% of the full frame, and 2.0 will capture 50% of the full frame. Meaning a 2.0 digital zoom crop will turn a photo capture with a 10mp sensor into what is essentially a photo captured by a 5 mp sensor.

Now why would you do that? Why not just zoom in further?

Everything is a tool which has a purpose but this is a new concept for me.... Kinda reminds me of the creative modes that I don't use but I'm sure it helps someone. Perhaps it will save you time, but I'm in the school of thought that often post-processing (cropping slight adjustment and printing) are just as important as taking the shot itself.

It is my understanding that a digital zoom of 1.3 will capture around 77% of the Full frame, 1.6 will capture 62.5% of the full frame, and 2.0 will capture 50% of the full frame. Meaning a 2.0 digital zoom crop will turn a photo capture with a 10mp sensor into what is essentially a photo captured by a 5 mp sensor.
quote]

NO no no no no!!!!

Although yes you do indeed get a crop image (compared to FF) you still get the pixel count that the camera states. the crop does NOT reduce the Mp of your camera.

The difference is the crop cameras pack the pixels into smaller sensors. This leads normally to slightly more noise in the image so your FF images are more likely to be noise free. My 20D has a higher pixel density than the Canon 5D but as above this is not always a good thing. Each pixel receives slightly less light equating to more noise.

There's more to it but you do not lose Mp!! look at the image size in pixels - multiply the two numbers together and you'll see.

My 20D produces a 3504 pixel x 2336 pixel image. that is 8,185,344 pixels. (8.2Mp)

I think that usayit was talking about in-camera crop, aka 'digital zoom'...rather than sensor size.

1) Improved auto focus or add zone auto focus to help eliminate background focus, why.

I shot a lot of wakeboarding, in the line of site of the first kicker at park i shot at is a water tower it’s more that thousand feet behind the kicker. Often on panning shots I lose aim on the riders and AF picks-up on the tower

2) Sensor cleaning similar to the 400d

The 1D mkIII has a dedicated processor for focusing and will be up to 3x faster focusing than the 1D MKII, depending on lens

It also has sensor cleanling but as I've lost count of "self cleaning" cameras that we have cleaned in the shop I wouldn't get my hopes up for a dust free life

Also the 10 fps isn't as "new" as people are making out, the EOS 1V HS was 10FPS back in the old days of film, it took longer to rewind the film than to use it at full speed :lol:

not keen myself of the digital crop but it would be useful to a lot people
Remember this camera is aimed mainly aimed at sports Pro's where the number of pixels isnt always important as the quality of newspaper print is very low

The 1D mkIII has a dedicated processor for focusing and will be up to 3x faster focusing than the 1D MKII, depending on lens

Also the 10 fps isn't as "new" as people are making out, the EOS 1V HS was 10FPS back in the old days of film, it took longer to rewind the film than to use it at full speed :lol:

Anyone remember the thread regarding Compact flash versus SD etc...
"Something I noticed about the D80".. Well, looks like a camera caught up. I'm sure with 10fps w/ 10mp sensor SANDisk or someone will jump all over this. Bigger cards and need for faster rates.. I sure hope Canon keeps the dual slot: SD and CF feature in the new 1d. 1d markII does 8.5 fps w/ 8mp sensor and some cards are definitely the bottleneck.

I have the EOS 1V HS purchased well used several years ago.. it replaced my Elan IIe. That camera is amazing... There is a boat load of features from that camera that were carried over to the 1d and 1ds cameras. The similarities in design is very obvious (controls are similar too). Yes.. the 10fps is absolutely amazing. When I first tried it out, I swear it was going to tear up the film inside. Anyone looking for a film camera to accompany their 1d or 1ds should really consider the 1v..... they are available real cheap now a days.

Wanna go even farther back, the Canon A-1 with motor drive was also a film burner.

The 1D mkIII has a dedicated processor for focusing and will be up to 3x faster focusing than the 1D MKII, depending on lens---

I maybe wrong but I’m not sure focusing speed is the cause of background focus. AF sometimes make odd focus choices. A good example is in DeepSpring resend post of skate shots, in #3 the rider is centered in the frame and surely should be in focus, but the camera background focused, this should not happen on any price camera

I can’t be the only person have background focusing problems or am I?

Just like IS, evaluative metering, etc... technology can't replace the photographer. AF will make mistakes but improvements are always welcome. Besides... don't think lostprophet meant that faster focus was the end all of background focusing.

This is one of the times I wish we where all in one room. Seem it could help with subjects moving toward the camera, before AF you would zone focus then wait for subject to move in to zone, but that can require more DOF and sacrificing of sharpness

this looks like a nice catch...although I wouldn't even try to compare it to the 5d, that's just plain idiotic...two completely different cameras for completely different purposes. plus the 5d is almost half that price now. 10fps is dang fast indeed...my 1n shoots at 10fps but i never dare use it or i'll shoot through a roll of film in a couple of seconds :)

still looking for that darn 1dsIII to come out...shucks :/

I maybe wrong but I’m not sure focusing speed is the cause of background focus. AF sometimes make odd focus choices. A good example is in DeepSpring resend post of skate shots, in #3 the rider is centered in the frame and surely should be in focus, but the camera background focused, this should not happen on any price camera

I can’t be the only person have background focusing problems or am I?

could be using the wrong AI SERVO tracking speed, if its set to a slow tracking speed the object could be closer then the lens focus point and vice versa.
When I tracking aircraft I use the fastest tracking speed but I use the default setting for motorbike speedway or rugby

Most reactions

New Topics

Back