Canon or Nikon?

After doing research I was pretty set on getting a Nikon but after holding both in my hands and playing with the menu's and controls and taking a few shots, I changed my mind and got the Canon. I just liked the way it felt better and the overall placement of the controls. But that's just my personal preference. You may like the Nikon better so as some has suggested....go out and play with both. The technical differences aren't that great so it's really a matter of which feels better in your hands.

I have a Canon - have invested too much into Canon lens to ever go to Nikon. Also, Canon made it easy for a newb like me to identify their "better" lens - UGLY WHITE.

As far as I can tell, Nikon is also a good product.

When I was DSLR shopping, if I were able to find a D80 to test, I may be a Nikon user today. Good thing I wasn't able to because would have been a tough decision between D80 and 30D based purely on specs.

Just an fyi ... I believe both Canon and Nikon have new cameras coming out - out already? XSi and D60 - both "body only" are in the $800-900 range I believe.

From glancing at specs, the XSi looks like a 40D without weather seal and the sturdy frame - it's also 12mp, but have learned that MP does not make a camera.

Man.... another one of these threads?

I should just dump the rest of my Canon, ignore Nikon folks, and go Pentax to avoid even being tempted into participating. The "silent" minority (Pentax, Sigma, Olympus, Sony) must be laughing at us each and every time.

Man.... another one of these threads?

I should just dump the rest of my Canon, ignore Nikon folks, and go Pentax to avoid even being tempted into participating. The "silent" minority (Pentax, Sigma, Olympus, Sony) must be laughing at us each and every time.

You can dump some of that equipment right here! :)

I personally use a Nikon because it was given to me, but I've also used a Canon, and I say they're both great systems, they both have their pro's and con's and this will go on forever.

Which ever brand you choose, you'll love them, and they'll serve you well. Don't forget to look at pentax, olympus and Sony as Iron Flatline mentioned. Just enjoy the camera!!

Get the PENTAX K10D. For the price, it's a steal, but I bought it because
it is built like a tank, has weatherproof seals, and to me, more user friendly.
Canon or Nikon can't even come close to this camera for the price.

I had a Canon rebel, and it felt like a cheapie, plasticky, romper room toy. I
had only a few lenses, and sold it off.

I'm no pro, but I sometimes take pictures in damp, humid, and sandy areas.
To get total water and dust resistance you must purchase there newer hi end
lenses. I do not own any of these, and still shoot in light rain or damp conditions with no problems.

Hit the pro shop, and play with them. Thats the best way to make a choice.
YOU can capture beautiful images with ANY of these camera brands.

Why do we do this? Nikon has 40% of the market, Canon a little more and the others share the remaining 15% or so. They both are good cameras/systems. Why do we do this to ourselves. I've shot Nikon since 1969, I like the way they feel. There are Canon shooters that say the same thing. Pick them up and see what you like. Don't listen to anyone tell you how to spend YOUR money. Just do what's right for you.

I got my hands on both... Budget allowed for either and they are both great cameras. I went D80. Good luck.

I love my D50, but I also enjoy shooting with my dad's XT. He's about to upgrade to the XTi and give his XT to my mom who will never use its features fully. Someone convince him that I need it instead :lmao:

Both is the best way to go.

Which is the best DSLR to go with? I'm looking at the 40d from Canon and the d80 from Nikon.

There is something that maybe can help you a bit in your decission.

You need to be aware that nikon never bother to make cameras for the street people in the past, canon did that and doing it still. It is only just quite recently that nikon make cameras for the simpletons. Nikon cameras were designed for those who were serious in photography, such as the people who were thinking to earn their livelihood through cameras. With that respect canon did that for the both worlds. Both cameras are good, infact they are all good. In the right hand they are incredible little box.

How in the world did we let one of these go this far???. Shouldn't there be a sticky so we can avoid this one coming up once a month I think a core topic like this and the discussion around it would deserve a sticky.

the obivous answer is which one you like better and fits your needs. Its just one of those things you make sure works for you before you choose things like features and design.

My friend has an XTi and i have a d40x, and there both awesome cameras. But i like mine better becuase its smaller and lighter and i find the controls easier on mine. He of course thinks his is smaller and easier to use of course, haha. Thats just how it is.

Most reactions

Back