Canon T3, upgrade or not to upgrade?

shannonmelek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have had my Canon T3 since it came out years ago. I have recently started to take pictures of strangers and them wanting me to do shoots for them, however I am a bit skeptical and bit embarrassed at the age of my camera, I have read so many posts about people aiming for high end cameras, but every year there seems to be more and more models coming out and putting a 1-3 year old cameras in the low burner when they are still great cameras. What I'm getting at is, I feel I take wonderful pictures, is there a need to update a camera? I have macro, fish eye lenses. But to take it as a career would I need to consider updating? And why.

I would like to hear peoples opinions. I am thinking of maybe just buying the body of a new camera, but if not needed then I don't want to waste my money.

Thank you.

Post two or three photos on here that you consider to be some of your best. We can help you evaluate whether you'll need a new camera or whether you might be better off with different technique, better lighting, or post processing.

FWIW, I have a Canon Rebel XSi. Several years older than yours. My photos have gotten significantly better with changes in technique and lighting (mostly lighting). Learned right here on the forum and through several books that are highly regarded by other TPF members. Prior to coming here, I didn't think my camera was capable of such images. :eek:

If you want to impress people on payed shoots, there is not much more impressive than lighting and grip gear being brought into the shoot. Reflectors, stands, clamps, electronic flash units (either speedlight or studio pack and head, or studio or portable monolight type flash units). Actually making the effort to "LIGHT" the photographs you are being payed to make is the fastest way to convey to people that you know what you are doing.

Admittedly, if your d-slr has a silver-colored body, it looks low-end-y...but really, lighting improves photographs more than most things. But yeah...I would not want to take on payed shoots using an older Rebel.

I recently just cleared my computer and hard drive, but i have a few online on my Flickr (now I'm trying to save my work for a portfolio) , my husband rides BMX professionaly so we have some photos of him riding in there and some random photos so please ignore those lol. And Derrel I like those ideas! My camera is all around black, not silver, it is a DSLR just a beginner. My Flickr account name is ShannonMelek shannonmelek

Post two or three photos on here that you consider to be some of your best. We can help you evaluate whether you'll need a new camera or whether you might be better off with different technique, better lighting, or post processing.

FWIW, I have a Canon Rebel XSi. Several years older than yours. My photos have gotten significantly better with changes in technique and lighting (mostly lighting). Learned right here on the forum and through several books that are highly regarded by other TPF members. Prior to coming here, I didn't think my camera was capable of such images. :eek:

I recently just cleared my computer and hard drive, but i have a few online on my Flickr (now I'm trying to save my work for a portfolio) , my husband rides BMX professionaly so we have some photos of him riding in there and some random photos so please ignore those lol. And Derrel I like those ideas! My camera is all around black, not silver, it is a DSLR just a beginner. My Flickr account name is ShannonMelek shannonmelek

If you want to impress people on payed shoots, there is not much more impressive than lighting and grip gear being brought into the shoot. Reflectors, stands, clamps, electronic flash units (either speedlight or studio pack and head, or studio or portable monolight type flash units). Actually making the effort to "LIGHT" the photographs you are being payed to make is the fastest way to convey to people that you know what you are doing.

Admittedly, if your d-slr has a silver-colored body, it looks low-end-y...but really, lighting improves photographs more than most things. But yeah...I would not want to take on payed shoots using an older Rebel.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually making the effort to "LIGHT" the photographs you are being payed to make is the fastest way to convey to people that you know what you are doing.
This, and it'll make your photos look a lot better. Most of your photos could use fill light. A good reference for understanding light:

Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Thank you so much. I wish I had more of my photos to show! Just in the process of moving. Any other advise? Do you see a reasoning to get a new camera?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Go to walmart and buy a label maker and some black label tape.

Print the following:

EOS
5D

and then a 2nd label that reads:

Mark III

Place the EOS 5D label over the T3i, and the mark iii on the lower right hand side below that.

Honestly most people wouldn't know one from the other at a distance anyway, and if the only concern is about what people think when they see the T3i label that would be a much cheaper option that a body upgrade.

In short, if your current camera body is getting the job done in your eyes, and more importantly in the eyes of your client, then an upgrade really isn't necessary. Some of the most amazing photographs I've ever seen were taken by cameras that when compared to a modern camera body like the T3i would be considered outdated junk.

Print the following:

EOS
5D

Mark III

Place the EOS 5D label over the T3i, and the mark iii on the lower right hand side below that.

Honestly most people wouldn't know one from the other at a distance anyway, and if the only concern is about what people think when they see the T3i label that would be a much cheaper option that a body upgrade.

In short, if your current camera body is getting the job done in your eyes, and more importantly in the eyes of your client, then an upgrade really isn't necessary. Some of the most amazing photographs I've ever seen were taken by cameras that when compared to a modern camera body like the T3i would be considered outdated junk.

Hehe thank you. I know most people don't pay attention to the camera they just want a good photo. I really appreciate your honesty.

Print the following:

EOS
5D

Mark III

Hehe thank you. I know most people don't pay attention to the camera they just want a good photo. I really appreciate your honesty.

No worries. If it makes you feel better you can always send the money you save buying the label maker vrs what you would have spent on a Mark III to me via paypal.

I'm sure I could find a good use for it.. lol

Print the following:

EOS
5D

Mark III

No worries. If it makes you feel better you can always send the money you save buying the label maker vrs what you would have spent on a Mark III to me via paypal.

I'm sure I could find a good use for it.. lol

Haha I am sure you could. I am just going to hold off, and learn more about lighting. :) But I might add the camera I want on my Christmas list. Lol. ORRR my birthday is in a couple of weeks you can just send me a nice gift of a 5d mark iii LOL.

Haha I am sure you could. I am just going to hold off, and learn more about lighting. :) But I might add the camera I want on my Christmas list. Lol. ORRR my birthday is in a couple of weeks you can just send me a nice gift of a 5d mark iii LOL.

Well i'm one of those crazy Nikon guys, so no Mark III to send I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, more advanced bodies do have some really nice features that can make your life easier. So generally I recommend you sit down and make a list of the things your current camera doesn't do that you'd like it to do, and then decide on a budget, and then start shopping for the best camera to suit your needs.

I currently shoot a D7100 myself, and I'm looking at upgrading at some point to a full frame. For me the decision is based on the fact that I do find myself shooting in lowlight conditions where a flash is not really an option, and it happens often enough that something like a D610 or a D800 will be a worthwhile investment for me.

But really it's not the camera body that people will notice, it's the lens. If you really want to announce your presence with authority, as they say, nothing does that quite like a 70-200 mm F2.8. You can slap that monster on any camera body and people will start asking you if your there shooting for a newspaper, etc.

I've had mine and shot a D5100, a D5200 and my D7100 - nobody ever asked me what camera body I was using or even noticed the body at all. You slap that monster lens on there and bam, you have instant pro cred. Strange, but true.. lol

Well i'm one of those crazy Nikon guys, so no Mark III to send I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, more advanced bodies do have some really nice features that can make your life easier. So generally I recommend you sit down and make a list of the things your current camera doesn't do that you'd like it to do, and then decide on a budget, and then start shopping for the best camera to suit your needs.

I currently shoot a D7100 myself, and I'm looking at upgrading at some point to a full frame. For me the decision is based on the fact that I do find myself shooting in lowlight conditions where a flash is not really an option, and it happens often enough that something like a D610 or a D800 will be a worthwhile investment for me.

But really it's not the camera body that people will notice, it's the lens. If you really want to announce your presence with authority, as they say, nothing does that quite like a 70-200 mm F2.8. You can slap that monster on any camera body and people will start asking you if your there shooting for a newspaper, etc.

I've had mine and shot a D5100, a D5200 and my D7100 - nobody ever asked me what camera body I was using or even noticed the body at all. You slap that monster lens on there and bam, you have instant pro cred. Strange, but true.. lol

Have you seen the price of that lens! lol More than my mortgage lol

I shoot with a older camera than yours.... granted, I am planning my upgrade soon. But its the pictures, and the quality that counts. Lighting is one of the best things you can learn to master.... then editing. Your camera body is capable of taking very nice shots. Until you have reached a point where the body itself is limiting you, you might as well save your money and try to master different techniques.

Most reactions

Back