Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok...my bf works for an auto-parts company..all he does is work in the call center (needed something that would work around his schooling)...but they knew he was going into graphic design, and that he did some photography, so they asked him to take some pictures for a catalog...He wants to know about how much he should get paid for this. I asked him (talking in IM right now) what all he did, and how long it took and this was his reply:
Took pictures of products, used some co workers in shots I set up, took several pictures of a jeep in differnt possitions, all my ideas. Took about 2 work days

So...about what price range should he get paid for this?

that was a guess, i didnt know any details so i cant give you any. How many hours did it take? 16?

Somewhere around there. Approx. 2 work days...

Ok...well can anyone point me in the right direction so I can find out this info?

Core, this link is more for stock but it may give you an idea of what his time is worth.

http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

I think it depends on how long they want to use the pictures for and for how many printings are going to be made.

$160 sounds very low for the 2 days worth of work, at least for that many pictures.

I just punched in catalogue - 1/4 page - 10,000 or less and it said ......

Type of Use:: Advertising
Specific Use:: Brochures / Catalogs
Press Run:: 10,000 or less
Size:: 1/4 Page or Spot use
Low Price:: $275.00
Average Price:: $425.00
High Price:: $575.00
Survey = 136

And thats per picture, but that seems a bit high.

Also, if he was using his own equipment...you have to take that in to consideration because he should be able to charge for that.

But if he was asked to take the photos as an employee...he is already getting paid his regular wages for those two days...isn't he?

If they asked him to take the photos...as a photographer...over and above his regular duties...he may have a case for charging them.

If he is getting his regular wages for those two days...it might be smart to just leave it at that. If they use his shots for the catalog, he will have something to add to his resume / portfolio which may lead to more work down the road.

Most reactions

Back