Chantelle and Allison, C&c Please!

ccssk8ter11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did a small shoot with a couple friends the other day, and while a few other shots turned out ok, i really liked this one, just wanted to get some opinions or see what you guys think of it. Keep in mind I'm fairly new to off camera strobes. But with that in mind, check it out and let me know what you think!
Thanks!

DSC_0177.jpg

Unless it's what you were going for, I think that the light camera right lighting your models was too close. The light fall-off from the model in the front's knee, to her hands, to the second model, is very quick. You did a good job lighting the first model, but the second has comparatively little light falling on her, and at a bit of an odd angle to her face. Possible solutions would be to move the key light back away from the models and increase power, or use a soft-ish snoot (white or silver on the inside as opposed to black) to light the other model's face from a slightly different angle.

Unless it's what you were going for, I think that the light camera right lighting your models was too close. The light fall-off from the model in the front's knee, to her hands, to the second model, is very quick. You did a good job lighting the first model, but the second has comparatively little light falling on her, and at a bit of an odd angle to her face. Possible solutions would be to move the key light back away from the models and increase power, or use a soft-ish snoot (white or silver on the inside as opposed to black) to light the other model's face from a slightly different angle.

Yeah, thats the only thing that really bothered me much, It was just hard because i had super limited space to set up the lights, these were shot in an abandoned train car and it was just all cluttered and full of garbage so i couldnt move the lights much farther back.
I will have to try that next time!

Anyone else?
other than the lack of lighting on the second model, what could i have done to improve?

Well, since you asked, that piece of tarp is distracting. I thought it was just me the first time I looked, but man, it's very very distracting from the second model's face. Part of that might be the lighting, but that could also be helped by getting it the heck outta there. :lol:

As for snoots, you can make them out of cardboard and tape. White tape, silver/aluminum tape, and photographic masking tape (which is a mat black that doesn't reflect much at all). You can then vary the length of your snoots to your heart's content. No reason to spend all that money on a HonL when you can do it yourself. ^.^ (Okay, okay, so the HonL will be built way better and not look like you're skimping, but still...)

Well, honestly, I think the pose does nothing to add to the effect here. In my opinion, the girl in the back is the "model" one, and he one in front is less photogenic. There's something that the girl in the back has got and that the girl in the front lacks. The idea of two young,beautiful women in one photo is an ages-old concept, but the way it's been done here is not coming together into a well-conceived photograph. The front model's leg positioning looks awkward...the girl behind her is not shown well.

The tarp is extremely distracting. Okay, to offer an idea; there are two "frames" in this picture, the bottom and the top frames, so you could have positioned the girl with the best legs seated to the left side of the bottom frame, with her butt on the left side,with her legs pointed to the right of the frame. Then, take the other model and have her stand on the right hand side
of the frame, facing the other girl,and maybe "hanging onto" the tarp..If you can;t or couldn't get the tarp out of the frame, I understand, but if it is going to be in the frame, you might as well have the standing model relate to it, or use it as a prop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back