Chicago...Screwed me

talonop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just got back from Chicago last night on an amateur photography shoot while attending a seminar. BAD NEWS. I should have been way more careful.

Basically, I was having lunch at this diner, and when I returned to the car, the driver's window was smashed. The thugs had taken all of my photography stuff- not much by professional standards, just a Ti, some lenses, and a lot of film, but that was my whole set up. Now gone.

Anyways, I am past the pissed off and feeling sorry stage (see my :x:x post from where I work at) now, and I have ordered a Nikon N75 outfit to start out fresh again.

Dunno why I decided not to go with another Ti, but I hope I made the right choice. Gotta change that avatar sometime soon :wink: .
[/url]

Do you need me to come up and break anyone's legs?? We could make a night of it.

Sorry to hear about that. It doesn't matter if it's my used gum, I can't stand when people steal something of mine. :( :(

hobbes28 said:
It doesn't matter if it's my used gum, I can't stand when people steal something of mine. :( :(

Yeah, that's a visual that I needed while I was eating. Thanks.

fibrousjaguar , I'm really sorry to hear that your gear was stolen. Where's that red hammer when you need one??

Breaking legs sounds like fun, but the only witness, an old lady, could only remember that the thugs were seven or eight chinese guys.

Unless we are going to break the legs off half of the residents of Chinatown...heh, thanks for the offer though.

fibrousjaguar said:
but the only witness, an old lady, could only remember that the thugs were seven or eight chinese guys.

I bet the old lady did it!
You do have my sympathies though, I'd want to call in an air strike on the whole area if that happened to me.

Write to the chamber of commerce or city hall or something...tell them your story and that you never plan on returning to their s-hole of a city. For as big as chicago is, there are only about 8 or 9 squre blocks where I feel safe. And I only bring my car when I can park it in video-monitored and gated, locked garages (and pay out the arse for it too). :?

Sorry to hear about that :(

I'm with mrsid on airstrike. You can't reason with these sort of low lives!!

I'm going to Chicago next week until the end of the month. Any particular places I need to look out for? Also, not sure if you did but it's a good tip for those who have small photography businesses. Keep the advertising off the vehicle you keep your equipment in.

Yeah, I'll be in Chicago in Nov. sometime as well. As much as I hate Richard Daley, I guess I'm going anyways. I'm taking a bus from Rockford to O'hare then a train into the city. Atleast I won't have a car to worry about. What are the good/bad spots?

-Brett

Nagala said:
I'm going to Chicago next week until the end of the month. Any particular places I need to look out for? Also, not sure if you did but it's a good tip for those who have small photography businesses. Keep the advertising off the vehicle you keep your equipment in.

Uh oh....we've got a plate that says S-Photo. Never thought about it that way. I supposed NH isn't a hotbed for crime, but if we travel....

i am sorry to hear about your gear. i would have went with another rebel TI though. the Nikon doesn't have manual ISO settings which can be annoying. And the Canon has fast auto focus, plus your familar with it.

We aren't all bad in the city. I grew up in the city (now i live in a burb about 20 miles out) and never really had problems. I work downtown right next to sears tower and couldn't be happier. Millenium park (on the lake) just opened up officially, and we have this gian stainless steel bean in the park (hard to explain, but a great photo op) that is worth checking out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back