Choosing the lens first, then only selecting the body.

Benjamin_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys, I have recently decided to take a different approach; to choose the lens first, and then only select a body after that. (Does it sounds familiar to you?) ;)

I have chosen some pretty nice looking lenses that aren't the most expensive out there, yet they aren't that "affordable" either. Finally, only the lenses that can "safely" carry the "walk around" title were selected.

Here are the lenses (With the full names and price tags copied from SLRgear);

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM (US$800)

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Nikkor (US$749.95)

Pentax 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited SMC P-FA (US$879.95)

Sony 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 DT Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* SAL-1680Z (US$700)

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM (US$599.99)

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF PRO DX (US$488.00)

Which "body" would you recommend me to go with "either" one of those lenses?

Generally, I just want a good "walk around" solution; and I also want to get more advance/deeper into "Photography". :)

Regards. (P.S., sorry for another thread; I really couldn't make up my mind.)

My budget is US$1500, which would be somewhat "hard" to expand any further. (But should be possible if the combo looks "really" convincing.)

Edit:

Oh yeah, I really like shooting landscapes a lot; and that is what I have been doing. (I have been shooting landscapes for 2 years already; both night and day landscapes, including long exposures.)

Coincidentally, my favorite photographer is also Ansel Adams (Who does landscapes that are really breathtaking). :)

That's certainly a different aproach.

Rather than looking for a specific lens first, look at the whole line up of lenses...because you will most likely end up with several lenses and one body.

I assume you are looking at a digital SLR for the body?

You can get that Canon 17-40 f4 L at B&H for $679.00.

I have never shopped online before, and I also don't plan to shop online for my camera and lens this time round; great price though!

That's certainly a different aproach.

Rather than looking for a specific lens first, look at the whole line up of lenses...because you will most likely end up with several lenses and one body.

I assume you are looking at a digital SLR for the body?
Yeah, I was thinking about the lens lineup or individual lens in this case, that they are going to matter more than the body; which are often already very capable to start with. Yes, I am definitely looking for a digital SLR body this time round! :) (After purchasing my Nikon F100 film SLR body just not so long ago...)

Regards.

Well, if you have a Nikon film body...it would make sense to go with a Nikon digital body.

I have found shopping on line to be very safe. I buy everything except condoms and toilet paper on line.

Just go finger the stuff in the store and then find the good prices on line and buy from reputable companies. You can save a whole lot of money.

Good luck.

Well, if you have a Nikon film body...it would make sense to go with a Nikon digital body.

Alright, so which one would that be? :wink:

I am guessing the new Nikon D40? Or should it be the Nikon D70s? (The D50 is already discontinued in my area...)

I have found shopping on line to be very safe. I buy everything except condoms and toilet paper on line.

Just go finger the stuff in the store and then find the good prices on line and buy from reputable companies. You can save a whole lot of money.

Good luck.
Eh...OK...,I actually have a local online camera shop that could distribute the items to my place for free. However, I do not have a credit card yet...:blushing: BTW, the online camera store also sells the items more expensively than in the actual store...

What lens or lenses do you have for you film SLR?

The D40 does not have an internal focus motor and therefore does not retain autofocus on all Nikon lenses. I'm not exactly sure which ones, you will have to ask a Nikon user.

What lens or lenses do you have for you film SLR?

The D40 does not have an internal focus motor and therefore does not retain autofocus on all Nikon lenses. I'm not exactly sure which ones, you will have to ask a Nikon user.

I have the AF Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D...I know this prime lens won't auto-focus on the Nikon D40 sigh...Yet I liked the Nikon D40 for it's slightly larger viewfinder, superb LCD, modern image processing algorithm, and ISO 3200! (Over the Nikon D70s...)

I was actually planning the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Nikkor for the Nikon D40, or even the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM for the D40 body.

I am open to advice though...

If you can buy a D70s new over a D40, DO IT. A D70/18-200 VR combination would be dynamite for a walk-around set up. Not only that, but you can use the lenses off your F100 on the D70 too. a D40/18-200 VR would be way too off balance for comfort.

If you can buy a D70s new over a D40, DO IT. A D70/18-200 VR combination would be dynamite for a walk-around set up. Not only that, but you can use the lenses off your F100 on the D70 too. a D40/18-200 VR would be way too off balance for comfort.

Thanks he he...

I can't imagine how the Nikon D40 would look and feel with that great lens! :mrgreen:

I can certainly get a brand new Nikon D70s around my area, since there are plenty of them!!

I am concerned about why so many people are saying about the Nikon D70s being "Noisy" though...Any idea? (It is a 6 mega pixel dSLR with really large DX CCD photo sites!!) How come???

It's not noisy, the D40 uses the same sensor, as does the D50.

Before going off to sleep...;)

I have just compiled a list of "possible" combinations that I won't mind ending up with. :) (Now, that would certainly be the most important!) :p

Here goes; (I would like to know what you'll experts think that's all.)

The Nikon D40 with the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM

The Nikon D40 with the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Nikkor

Or

The Nikon D70s with the (Same lenses as the above). :)

Maybe I won't mind going for the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 AF PRO DX also since the Nikon D70s have the build in auto focus motor. :)

Thanks for all the existing responses, this forum is really cool! :thumbup:

personally for a first lens I'd be looking at the sigma 18-50mm 2.8 or the tamron equivalent. Nice and wide for landscapes, zoom to short telephoto for other work including portraits. The new sigma version is also "macro" with a reproduction of 1:2.something. pretty good for a 400 dollar lens. Definitely worth looking at, and they make it for every mount, so it doesn't limit your camera choice. Wish I had went with this as opposed to the kit lens, which is basically a slow version of this lens.

Most reactions

Back