Church with an Amazing Story

thenikonguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so I was driving through Markham Ontario last week, and stumbled across this church... it was huge, with a huge driveway, huge EVERYTHING, but there were no windows.. I had to find out what it was all about.

Here's what I was told:

A man moved to Markham from Italy 70 years ago, and had a dream, to build this immaculate church, he was not funded by a diocese, or any other churches, it was all on his own money. He worked on this church for 50 years, and just this past year, he died. Now the church lies there, empty, and unfinished, and it doesnt appear as though his family is going to finish it, because in order for it to be completed, its going to cost another 50 Million (thats right million) dollars, just to complete it to the specs he wanted to make.

Anyway, its not the greatest photo in the world, but, here it is:
20090817-meh3w1yc3dy53ducre5itss1ij.jpg

I wish now, that I had more time to shoot it, but I was on my way to a meeting when I found it... to give you an idea of how big it is, I was standing about 1000 feet away from it.

I have recently developed an addiction to taking pictures of churches. What a beautiful one this is. Are the domes actually blue with the copper? What a shame such a beautiful building will now be abanded.

I have recently developed an addiction to taking pictures of churches. What a beautiful one this is. Are the domes actually blue with the copper? What a shame such a beautiful building will now be abanded.

they are kind of a turquoise and its not copper, its gold (real gold) not sure how many carats though

That is one seriously cool building. I would be shocked if a church (one of them) didn't buy the building from the family.

That is one seriously cool building. I would be shocked if a church (one of them) didn't buy the building from the family.

i agree.. but I would be totally shocked if any of them had the funds to buy even 1/4 of it... I think so far to date, the man spent around 20 million to build it, and with another 50 million to go.. I've never known of a church with those kinds of funds..

I'm hoping to maybe go back sometime before the snow comes, to do some better shots of it... its amazing how small I felt while standing 1000 feet away. I think I'd like to get my 10-20mm before I go back though, so I can get closer, so we can see the detail

Well the family is never going to get the full value that was put into the building, but some churches (Catholic church for example, they've got a few bucks right?) could definitely make a significant offer. I can't see much use otherwise for the property, aside from dismantling the building for the raw materials and the land it sits on. And in that case the family will get pennies on the dollar vs. the cost of construction.

More shots of it would be very cool!

Well the family is never going to get the full value that was put into the building, but some churches (Catholic church for example, they've got a few bucks right?) could definitely make a significant offer. I can't see much use otherwise for the property, aside from dismantling the building for the raw materials and the land it sits on. And in that case the family will get pennies on the dollar vs. the cost of construction.

More shots of it would be very cool!

yea, i guess the catholic church would likely have the funds..

as for the family, they are basically trying to get any money they can.. the man owned a HUGE plot of land (could have put maybe 30 of these churches ont he land) and now the kids are just selling of all the land to building companies.. so, its hard to say what will happen with the church.

If that was my fathers work, I would continue it in his memory, It is a sin to just destroy something he was passionate about.

i live in markham! do you know where that church is located? i'd love to visit it.

i live in markham! do you know where that church is located? i'd love to visit it.

yes, it was on woodbine avenue.. i cant recall the address.. but, i got off the 401 at woodbine, and traveled north, 10 or 15 minutes.. up north of 7

so far for meee :( aww. but thanks! :]

markham isnt that big.. it cant be that far.. city folk make me laugh.. they will commute 2 hours to work.. but cant drive 20 minutes in their own town to see something beautiful... lol

I search and found the name of the church is "Slovak Catholic Church" After search the name "Slovak Catholic Church" in google, I found more photos of the church ... massive!!

Next time if I am up there, I need to go there as well. (at least 13 hours drive from where I am)

Great shot. Wow, that thing is pretty huge eh? I'm looking at the lights and comparing them to the door (entrance). Amazing!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back