cleaning

asr84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I constantly change lenses and now I need to clean the mirror. When I remove the lens I can see in the mirror the little particles of dirt or whatever it is that sometimes appear in photos when in 150% zoom. Any one know any good cleaning method or what I could use for cleaning pls?

thanks in advance... :D

Hi well you can see by the number of posts i have here I sure am new.... so this may not be the best advice. But for my old camera, I used to change lens too. To clean my Mirror I used one of those little air bulbs with a soft brush attached to the end. I don`t know what its called, its small and you squeeze it an a little puff of air comes out the end where the soft brush is. It did a wonderful job for me. But I`m sure that the more experienced people can tell you what to use that may be better. I tried to not to really touch the mirror, and don`t blow your breath in the camera.. you have lots of moisture in your breath and you could cause the stuff to stick even more. Just my opinion...

Well I can't give you any advice on how to clean your mirror but I can guarantee you that the dust and dirt you see on you mirror will NEVER I repeat NEVER appear on your images as the mirror flips up every time you take a picture. The function of the mirror is to simply reflect the image up to the prisim to the viewfinder so you can see it before you shoot. If you are seeing dust on your image it is either on your sensor or your lens.

I constantly change lenses and now I need to clean the mirror. When I remove the lens I can see in the mirror the little particles of dirt or whatever it is that sometimes appear in photos when in 150% zoom. Any one know any good cleaning method or what I could use for cleaning pls?

thanks in advance... :D

what you have on the mirror will never appear on the images.

My advice: stay away from the mirror, most people only get more dirt onto it while cleaning ... and dirt there does not really matter ;)

What you have, is most likely dirt on the sensor! Something everyone using a dSLR will encounter some day. This is actually a touchy issue, some people never dare to clean the sensor and clone out the spots in postprocessing (I could not live with that ).. others let the camera be serviced by a camerashop (too expensive to do it all the time) .. and others again clean their sensors by themselves.

For cleaning there are several methods. Google for "Copperhill method", "Speckgrabber", and what else is there (others please fill in here )?

In any case, get informed first, do not hurry things. Only start cleaning if you are sure you understand what you are doing. Oh , and never breathe
on the sensor, and never touch it with your fingers, or never with a lens cleaning cloth, never with q-tips, don't use any dubious liquids on it (like alcohol-water mixtures).

to check if it is dirt on the sensor, go to tiny apertures (f/16-ish) and tak an out-of-focus image of the sky ... if you then get the dirt more visible, then it is most likely on the sensor.

Thanks for precise information Alex_B, you pointed me out in the right direction. It was dirt in the opposite part of the lens, feels so good to clean it!!!
Thx for advice everyone, never mess with the mirror! :)

BTW, in which situation is the sensor most vulnerable to dirt?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back