Color calibration on smartphone or tablet

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone do color calibration on your smartphone or tablet? I did both on my iPhone and iPad. I don't see any difference or improvement.

How precisely did you do that?

Joe

I downloaded the app call ColorTRUE by x-rite and use a color munki device. I just follow the instruction. It's very simple. Takes about 3 minutes.

The calibration is only good if the device calibrated is used under the same ambient light it was calibrated to.

If the ambient light has changed, you need to re-calibrate.

I downloaded the app call ColorTRUE by x-rite and use a color munki device. I just follow the instruction. It's very simple. Takes about 3 minutes.

Thanks -- news to me. I'm glad to know that's available.

Joe

I am not sure if it makes sense to calibrate an ipad or a smartphone. A calibration only makes sense if you have a screen that is able to handle the full color spectrum a photo provides. That is the reason why monitors that are used for editing have a certain price.
Even though the screens of tablets get better every year, it's imho still a long way to go for them to be as accurate as a good monitor can be.

This is from X-Rites website ColorTRUE - Mobile Calibration App: X-Rite Photo & Video

"Unlike your laptop or desktop operating system, iOS and Android operating systems do not have system wide color management capabilities. Therefore, each app must apply color profiles individually."

Basically the calibration ONLY works in their app or apps that have integrated their calibration into their own.

Even if you could calibrate a phone or tablet system wide it would be pointless because of the constant changing of the lighting conditions when using it.

This is from X-Rites website ColorTRUE - Mobile Calibration App: X-Rite Photo & Video

"Unlike your laptop or desktop operating system, iOS and Android operating systems do not have system wide color management capabilities. Therefore, each app must apply color profiles individually."

Ouch! So that makes profiling the device pretty much a moot point. Still there may be some benefit from a hardware calibration albeit limited without the profile follow through.

Joe

Basically the calibration ONLY works in their app or apps that have integrated their calibration into their own.

Even if you could calibrate a phone or tablet system wide it would be pointless because of the constant changing of the lighting conditions when using it.

I am not sure if it makes sense to calibrate an ipad or a smartphone. A calibration only makes sense if you have a screen that is able to handle the full color spectrum a photo provides.

Not so. It is still beneficial to calibrate a display that is less than 100% "X" color space compliant. This doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. Correcting a display's badly shifted white point helps regardless if it's a ColorEdge, Asus, laptop or tablet. If you have LR running on a tablet then LR is going to use a display profile -- it won't run any other way. A profile that's more accurate for the device is going to help.

I like this analogy: You want to play a guitar. You can chose a:

1. Ramirez guitar
2. Yamaha guitar
3. First Act (Walmart) guitar

The above don't all play equally well or sound the same but in each case it helps a lot to tune them.

Joe

That is the reason why monitors that are used for editing have a certain price.
Even though the screens of tablets get better every year, it's imho still a long way to go for them to be as accurate as a good monitor can be.

Has anyone do color calibration on your smartphone or tablet? I did both on my iPhone and iPad. I don't see any difference or improvement.

The Colour on a iPad is pretty close the industry standard as far as I know.

I've calibrated my tablet, but it is windows based. The colour was way off in the original profile so it definatley helps when editing on it. Mind you I still use a desktop for a "final" proof if it's one i'm going to get printed

The Colour on a iPad is pretty close the industry standard as far as I know.
What industry standard?
Mainly used in film and TV but probably offers a good baseline for monitors, Rec709 (differs for 4K) , D65 colour temperature.

Last edited:
"probably"?
So it's not actually an industry standard for computer/mobile device displays?

If you were to correctly calibrate your monitor or iPad (Probably not the iPad as it already close) yes it is, or you got a professional (ISF/THX calibrator) to do this, it is what they would aim for.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back