Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a rework of an image originally posted here, which received unexpected approval and seemed worthy of additional work. It was one of those cases where there was literally a split second to grab the image because of the number of people passing by, and because she only stopped for a brief moment. All that said, I'd appreciate comments/critique/suggestions on the direction to go with it.

BikerA.jpg

I think it's good how it is. If anything maybe a tighter crop to eliminate the bright upper arm in the bottom left that looks out of place.

I think it's good how it is. If anything maybe a tighter crop to eliminate the bright upper arm in the bottom left that looks out of place.
Agree, however to get a 4x5 ratio, and not lose either head or patch, I've had to include the arm. I could turn it into a long sleeve shirt, but I think that would look odd as well.

Very nice. What else do you think you need to do with it? Looks good to me.

I don't know, I feel like I get my best photos when I just shoot and don't overthink it ... but not the same thing works for everyone.

Then again I sometimes drive myself nuts reworking something... lol

Very nice. What else do you think you need to do with it? Looks good to me.

I don't know, I feel like I get my best photos when I just shoot and don't overthink it ... but not the same thing works for everyone.

Then again I sometimes drive myself nuts reworking something... lol
I honestly don't know if it does need anything else. I had to massage it a little bit in order to get a 4x5 crop, but other than that... umm???? Maybe?

Only thing I might suggest, is to clean up the redness on the cheek, do a little dodging around the eye, and darken/tone down the background in front of the face.

I saw the other thread and I like this version better not as cropped as that one. I don't see anything that needs to be done to this one.

This. The three background dots in front of face stand out. Not sure image is worth a lot of work on it up 2 u
Only thing I might suggest, is to clean up the redness on the cheek, do a little dodging around the eye, and darken/tone down the background in front of the face.

Actually I would do very little changes when this was my photo.

Probably darken the arm just a bit and sharpen the eye.
I've tried to (slightly) change the background - duplicate/mirror from the other side of the photo - but I really wonder whether it's worth all the trouble, guess not.
This background thing is IMO very much a "photographers issue" because clients will not even notice it.

It's true what @vintagesnaps says "I feel like I get my best photos when I just shoot and don't overthink it"
Just had coffee-time (11.00 am) over here, so a very quick edit.

img.JPG

Last edited:
My tendency is toward cropping into the lower right corner's "gutter", and eliminating that sliver of space, so that the black vest is at the edge of the frame....but that ruins the 4x5 aspect. I tried it last night, I thouyght it looked better cropped ever so slightly on that lower right area.

Actually I would do very little changes when this was my photo.

Probably darken the arm just a bit and sharpen the eye.
I've tried to (slightly) change the background - duplicate/mirror from the other side of the photo - but I really wonder whether it's worth all the trouble, guess not.
This background thing is IMO very much a "photographers issue" because clients will not even notice it.

It's true what @vintagesnaps says "I feel like I get my best photos when I just shoot and don't overthink it"
Just had coffee-time (11.00 am) over here, so a very quick edit.

View attachment 143979
Very good points!

My tendency is toward cropping into the lower right corner's "gutter", and eliminating that sliver of space, so that the black vest is at the edge of the frame....but that ruins the 4x5 aspect. I tried it last night, I thouyght it looked better cropped ever so slightly on that lower right area.
Agreed; I'm not happy with that sliver, BUT... I want the 4x5 ratio, so....

Nice. And thank you, so much, for avoiding selective color (though it might actually work).

Most reactions

Back