Cop attacks cameraman.

Ahh! Note to self: never play devil's advocate again. ...

...gifted in twisting stories into something that is quite far from how it actually happened.

... :)

Both sides are equally gifted. Again, this is why we have courts.

I have to admit, I have a long dislike for cops. back when I was a biker I would be pulled almost daily, for no reason other then to check out my bike. They would check my mirrors, they would check the height of my handlebars ( I had Apehangers) And just about anything else they could think of. And I wasn't even a 1%er!

*sigh* I'm so hurt by all of this. Whoever said "who will watch the watchmen?" Was spot on. I think some of us even in this forum might get a rush from having as much power as a cop. Though I would hope none of us would let that rush influence our actions. Certain people LOVE telling others what to do, and when you get in a uniform, and are given more power than almost ANY other job, some will take it too far.

I wonder, if the rebel patriots the US was founded by would think the Bill of Rights wasn't enough... I'm not saying they would (even though Thomas Jefferson was a pretty radical cat for his time), but I wonder what they would think after seeing so much history and so much change. I wonder what they would change, what they would add or remove from our Constitution...

I, for one, am moving to the Netherlands. I hear they can't search you if they are suspicious of any illegal substances on your body (guns, drugs, incriminating photos, etc.). And its not that I think Holland and the Netherlands are all that better than the US, but at least over there you can get high enough that you don't care about how bad your rights are being stepped on. :)

*Senor Hound, while in a Coffee shop, sells his right of free speech for a bag of potato chips...*

I don't really get it because I think that video has missing part, of the beginning bit.

The photographer or the cameraman in there asked for the the cop's name, than followed by asking him for his badge. What was the reason for him in asking because it is very unlikely to make such provocative demands for no reason. The way he asked does not sound too friendly to me - also the way that cop walk around seem he was angry.

It would be nice to see the starting point of this chopped off drama.

The photographer or the cameraman in there asked for the the cop's name, than followed by asking him for his badge. What was the reason for him in asking because it is very unlikely to make such provocative demands for no reason.

He's filming a news event, and might want to follow up on it or just fact check later; knowing who the primary officer at the scene was makes it easier to reference.

In security work, I get the name and badge number of any LE I interact with on the job, and give them mine. That way, everybody knows who to ask for if they have to call later and get a report copy or additional information, even if there happen to be three "Officer Bergmansteins," who were all working similar calls in different areas around that time. I don't see any reason not to do the same in reporting, especially since he might have gotten footage that he was planning to copy for the department as evidence.

It is common (and smart) practice to politely ask the officer's name, badge number, and identification. No officer should take that as an act of aggression.

if that camera was 50,000 dollars, then shouldnt the video have been at least a LITTLE better quality??

also, i think everyone is to blame here. its the cop's fault for being a jerk about the situation, and the photographer's for not listening to a cop. i dont really agree with either of these people's actions. if i'm taking pictures and someone walks up to me and says to stop. I'm not going to start arguing with them , or disrespect them, but thats just how i am i suppose.

if that camera was 50,000 dollars, then shouldnt the video have been at least a LITTLE better quality??

Therein lies the troubles of video in flash format XD

well, i guess the better question is why would he be shooting something like this with a camera that expensive, and yes, i realize that its flash, and there is quality loss during uploading for web and everything, but it just seems like he can whip that camera around pretty easily, and at least -I- dont know of any $50K cameras that would be light enough to be doing that with... but i'm no videographer....

What does it matter how much the camera is worth.. it is irrelevant. Honestly guys.. you really think you can judge quality of the original take from a youtube video?

Us photographers complain enough about how images look great at home and in print but look degraded once posted on the internet for wide viewing.

Isnt the you tube like 320x240 ? Also this was unedited video, so im sure nothing was popping since it was night time,

I did see something cool though.. when he turned on the feature which was some kind of night mode, it reallly made a difference and it was normal color not a green color like you usually see, Ive never seen anything like that before , it didnt seem to add any noise to the picture..

anyway, they use those cameras so they can pull stills from it too. pays for itself in no time.

eh. i still have a hard time believing it.

The cop was wrong but the camera man should have seen this cop was in a bad mood and should of not pushed his buttons like he did. I would not have wanted to make a point with no crowed to witness or a 50k camera on me.

Whats not to believe ?

I saw this on the CBS news presented with the anchors. So naturally the idea that a multi billion (over 2 billion operating income last quarter!) corporation can afford a 50K camera does not brew any disbelief at all.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/66136-cbs-corporation-q4-2007-earnings-call-transcript

Thats like 10 billion a year, same as if you or I make 60K and buy a 5 dollar item. Come on, don't be naive.

Most reactions

Back