Critique Please!

MaddyFletcher_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is a quick fashion shoot I did for a photography class, looking for some opinions on what people like and don't like, and what I could change next time! To view more, my website is maddyfletcherphotography.format.com :)
Ashton6.jpg
Ashton7.jpg
Ashton8.jpg
Ashton9.jpg

Love the second but the black has virtually zero detail.
I wouldn't shoot wide open, you will get much better results with the lens stopped down a couple of stops.

The light quality is pretty poor and the light direction is a bit to high.
That there is snow on the ground would lead one to suspect the location was well south of the equator.
She is not very well separated from the background from a lighting perspective.

As Lou mentions, for a fashion shoot the black clothing has little detail. The jargon for that is that the 'blacks are blocked' or 'clipped', which is the exact opposite of photo highlights being 'blown out or clipped' or basically pure white with no recoverable detail.

With the backgrounds off in the distance a bit of flash, even from the built in flash unit, would have created a 'lighting ratio' such that she would be brighter than the background and 'pop'. The clothing would also have some detail.
In other words she would have even more visual weight in the photo.

Lew and Keith have pretty much nailed it. As an aside, a wrinkled, black 'all-body' outfit is a clothing choice that pretty much negates any consideration under the 'fashion' category IMO.

Try using the clearity, it may help bring out a little more detail in her cloths. But I may be wrong! ;)
Other than that, I like them, but #2 is my #1!

first off, i cant stand what she is wearing and none of the photos seem to pop out at me. everything looks a bit dreary and dull, definite lack of detail. i do not think they are bad photos but i don't think any of them really stand out. i think boosting the clarity or maybe the contrast might help a little.

i have not done much as far as shooting people, i cant tell you that i could do better but just giving my opinion

Calgary still has snow? I thought that storm was a couple of weeks ago!

I think your photos need a lot more light. I'm not sure what qualifies as a fashion photo, except the clothing needs to be highlighted to make me desire them, and these photos don't do that. The black outfit looks better in the full sized version, but it is still mostly a black mass. Even well lit, I doubt black coveralls would inspire. For a fashion shoot, wardrobe and makeup matter. It strikes me as Goth rather than fashion.

more light, change the model shoes. add her expressiveness and may even some insolence)

Most reactions

Back