Critique please?

NoraF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can't make up my mind about some of these photos. The shadows/highlights are driving me a little crazy so I'm hoping you all can critique them? I tend to go too contrasty sometimes. I'm grateful for any input.

Attachments

• Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis.jpg
    Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis-3.jpg
    Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis-3.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis-4.jpg
    Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis-4.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis-5.jpg
    Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis-5.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis-2.jpg
    Somethingsbuggingmeaboutthis-2.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 138
Not sure if the (almost) B&W images of the owls and humming bird work.
The closeup of the feathers is the strongest one.
Flamingo is too cropped.

Although there are elements of the flying owl that are "wrong" I really like it. That clipped wing for example is really irritating.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Some nice shots. As you suspect the processing could be better. You've got some highlight clipping and if you're worried about too much contrast you may be over-compensating. The perched owl needs more contrast -- no black point in the photo.

Change your edit tag and I'll show you.

Joe

Last edited:
The shadows/highlights are driving me a little crazy ..
In what way? What are you attempting to do, photographically?

FWIW; the feather shot could have been stellar if more of the subject was in better focus.

On the first two shots the subject wants to blend into the background. Perhaps adjust the lighting to bring focus.

The bokeh on the second photo is harsh and distracting. Perhaps soften that a bit.

I like the feathers. There are some true black areas that seem to be missing on the first two.

I agree with the previous comment that the flamingo is too cropped but I don't mind the clipped wing in the last photo as much. Somehow it helps add to the feeling of movement for me.

Overall nice work and let's face it, 10 photographers would process these 10 different ways.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The flamingo one--- I feel like I stared at it so long I didn't see it anymore hah! I kept thinking it was the contrast that was bothering me but actually it was the framing. Thanks for putting your finger on it for me. As for the rest I'm going to head back to Lightroom with your suggestions in mind. Except the feathers. Not much I can do about bits being out of focus, the Emu was a total diva and wouldn't be still lol. Thanks everyone, so glad I found this forum.

Really good shots.

If I must critique:
-Owl on tree- I'm not sure I like the bluish tint. Composition is excellent.
-Flamingo: the body is brighter than the head. Otherwise it's great.
-Owl in flight: great shot. I'm ok with he crop. Again, the blue isn't my favorite. Try something with a little red in it -my opinion.

Interesting that you have chosen such colourful subjects then decided to dis regard colour.
Nice collection just not for me but do watch cutting off body parts unless you make an intentional decision do so. Only the Humming bird is completely in frame.

Why the b&w? Of these, I like the last the best - good focus at the eyes and nice feel of the action of his flight. Yes the clipped wing is annoying but that is just a minor thing IMO. I would like to see the first and last shots in color.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back