D3 as a good upgrade and First FX camera

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was looking at a FX Nikon D3 and I was wondering if these are a good choice to upgrade my current D90/D200 (backup camera) Combo to a D3/D90 (backup).

The reason I am interested is that I can get a super tough, built like a tank body and has dual memory cards slots for backup on a wedding shoot, and I can find used under 1,100! I know people will say go for a D600 or 610 or the like, but notice I would like full manual controls outside the camera and built to be outdoors in not the best weather sometimes.

I do have some FX lenses like a Sigma 70-200 2.8 and a couple prime (50mm and 35mm) that I would be able to use with both cameras.

I would rather have a D3s, which is newer and has a better sensor. The D3-series cameras have excellent battery life and performance, superb viewfinder clarity, and very fast response. If you've ever shot one extensively, you'll understand what the pro Nikons bring to the game over the lower-priced bodies.

The D3 is a nice body to use. My sister still uses her D700 for a lot of paid work. The only thing with the D3 is the shutter count can be very high.

A D3s would be super nice, but It is a lot more (over 1K) than the D3. I also have a nice video camera so I don't need the D3s video capability. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back