D60 still viable today?

a_scayola

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, have been away from photography and the forum for the last year, too much work and whatnot. Recently, the company I work for purchased a new 30D and holding that beast in my hand got me thinking of photography again. It feels good to be back!! :D

Here's the scenario: I have $400 to spend on a DSLR body (used of course) and I REALLY loved the weight on that 30D. I've found quite a few D60's on that price range so my question now becomes, is the D60 still a viable camera today? or is it too old already? Can you guys think of any other cameras in that price range and with that pro weight/feel that you would recommend over it?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Andres

You could probably get a d50 new for that price or a d70/d70s used. Those are my recommendations.

I use my D60 regularly (along with my recently purchased 5D), and find it to be a perfectly fine camera. My wife is enrolled in an "Introduction to Photography" class and will be using the D60. You'll be happy with it for a while, and then get the "new camera" itch. However: there might be used Digital Rebels of a more recent vintage around for that price. In light of the rapidly-evolving technology these days, you should certainly see if those could be found, too. Check Craig's List.

I have seen a couple of 350D's for a little more money but I just don't know if I'll be able to get over the plasticky feel. I've held a previous model of the Rebel and that was exactly what I felt.

I was hoping someone would mention a different brand. How are the D70 or D50 built compared to a D60? From the specs I found online they seem to be in between the D60 and a Digital Rebel in terms of weight.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Andres

I find that my d50 is fairly light but well built none the less. It doesn't flex at all (thank goodness) and it can take a beating.

After reading a few reviews of both the Canon D60 and the Nikon D50 (mostly dpreview.com) it seems to be that a major difference is that the Nikon is a lot faster both on startup and on recording an image ("time between pressing the shutter release and the image being displayed on the LCD monitor").

Maybe someone with a D60 (Iron Flatline?) can tell me if you ever noticed that it's "slowness" got in the way of your picture taking?

I'm slowly leaning towards the D50, provided I can find one in my price range (they seem to be going over $500 on ebay). I'm going to try and stop by Circuit City so I can handle the camera a bit and see how it feels.

Thanks for the help guys,
Andres

No, I've never been particularly bothered by the recording speed of the camera, but I don't shoot action stuff. Also, I don't really use the screen that much. If I use it at all, it is to check the histogram to make sure I got the exposure right. It is definitely slower than my 5D though, and I notice that difference when I move back and forth between the two cameras while shooting at the same time.

I have big hands, I like the big body of the D60. You put a real lens on it, and you could probably defend yourself with it, hurt your opponent, and then still go shooting pics with it :)

a_scayola said:
After reading a few reviews of both the Canon D60 and the Nikon D50 (mostly dpreview.com) it seems to be that a major difference is that the Nikon is a lot faster both on startup and on recording an image ("time between pressing the shutter release and the image being displayed on the LCD monitor").

Maybe someone with a D60 (Iron Flatline?) can tell me if you ever noticed that it's "slowness" got in the way of your picture taking?

I'm slowly leaning towards the D50, provided I can find one in my price range (they seem to be going over $500 on ebay). I'm going to try and stop by Circuit City so I can handle the camera a bit and see how it feels.

Thanks for the help guys,
Andres
I might be willing to sell my d50 to you. All sorts of goodies for it, too. PM me, let me know.

The D60 is still quite a viable camera in todays market... now lets look at this for a second... do you really NEED 6mp?... is the slight start up time REALLY that important?... I have seen hundreds of good shots come from earlier vintage cameras... I too had a 10D (slightly newer then the D60) and it was a real tear to get rid of it... I loved the camera... the only thing on this camera that I see you may or may not need is faster focusing... the newer cameras definately do a better job there... but do they do $400 better focusing if you are a hobbiest? Probably not... as far as the Nikon/Canon deal... both are decent cameras, both will work for you... dont let someone sway you either way with the BS till you have held the cameras you wish to purchase and messed around with them a tad to see what controls you feel more comfortable with... I will say this... the Nikon D50 and D70 do not offer battery grips... which I use on all my cameras.... the Canon XT is way too small to use without one...

Well, I did go to Circuit City yesterday and I have to say that the D50 is too small for me. The D70s I liked, too bad it's out of my price range.
From what Iron Flatline and Orgnoi1 said, I don't really shoot sports, and my film cameras are 70's and 80's manual only cameras so any kind of AF (however slow it may be) will be a luxury for me and I'll probably not even use it much.
I'm definitely going with the D60. Now I only have to wait for a good deal to come by.
Thank you everyone for your help making this decision.
Andres

Orgnoi1 said:
The D60 is still quite a viable camera in todays market... now lets look at this for a second... do you really NEED 6mp?... is the slight start up time REALLY that important?... I have seen hundreds of good shots come from earlier vintage cameras... I too had a 10D (slightly newer then the D60) and it was a real tear to get rid of it... I loved the camera... the only thing on this camera that I see you may or may not need is faster focusing... the newer cameras definately do a better job there... but do they do $400 better focusing if you are a hobbiest? Probably not... as far as the Nikon/Canon deal... both are decent cameras, both will work for you... dont let someone sway you either way with the BS till you have held the cameras you wish to purchase and messed around with them a tad to see what controls you feel more comfortable with... I will say this... the Nikon D50 and D70 do not offer battery grips... which I use on all my cameras.... the Canon XT is way too small to use without one...
Actually, I have a battery grip for my d50. It holds two en-el3s or 6 AAs.

This thing about the 350D/XT being to small I think is frankly nonsense. I'm 6'3 size 11 feet hands comparable size to that and I don't tihnk it's too small to use at all. I don't think its less or more comfortable to use than my Canon 1n which is considerably bigger.

Saying sweepingly that it is too big is not a good thing.

Just have noticed alot of people saying this and it may disaude people from getting the camera peple actually might have preferred.

Daniel, I didn't say that the D50 is "too small to use". I said that "it's too small for me". By that I didn't mean that I CAN'T use it, just that I LIKE the feel of a bigger/sturdier camera.

a_scayola said:
Daniel, I didn't say that the D50 is "too small to use". I said that "it's too small for me". By that I didn't mean that I CAN'T use it, just that I LIKE the feel of a bigger/sturdier camera.

Totally understand that!
if a camera is lightweight (which does not mean technically it is a bad camera), then for me it is akward to handle, especially with heavier lenses on it. I simply shoot better and more concentrated with some weight in my hands .. partially this might be psychology only... but it works.

Most reactions

Back