Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

aka.topaz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey,

Me and my sister-in-law are looking at getting SLR camera's, but we do not know which one is better... Can anyone help? She is probably getting the XTi or XSi and I will probably get the Nikon D60... Can anyone help with different comparisons and specs and personal preferences?

Joe

90% of the people on this forum shoot Nikon... the other 10% are the type of people that you would walk across the street to avoid...

also... most famous people like Tony Danza and George Bush also shoot Nikon....

I'm just kidding ofcourse.... I'm not really sure that Tony Danza shoots nikon...

The XSi is the successor to the XTi. They shouldn't be too drastically different. I'm not really sure of the changes that were made, but I think the XSi got a new processor.

If I were you, I'd would consider the two of you buying into the same system. It would allow you to share equipment which is an extremely big help.

Both Nikon and Canon systems are excellent. The one downside to the D60 is that if you plan on expanding your system and are going to be on a tight(er) budget, you will have to buy lenses with a built-in AF motor since the D60 doesn't have one inside. These lenses are usually more expensive. The camera still produces great results though.

what about the D40x? just an idea...

Get the cheapest one in sight, nikon d40 is the one I know as cheap. Later on after a year or so when you are truly familiar with camera, than you may change camera - of the same brand or from other brand. You buy expensive stuff because you need it and you know it.

At this moment buy the cheapest one, unless if you have money to burn.

I just got the xsi a few weeks ago and couldnt be more pleased with it. Its light and very easy to learn the controls on as well. I highly recommend it.

I think the XTi is pretty good as is the XSi. What it all comes down to is how it handles and how you like the feel of it.

I think I would go Nikon over the Canon X series on account of the viewfinder being better.

rebels make my hands ache. and i'm not even ham-fisted. seriously poor design.

rebels make my hands ache. and i'm not even ham-fisted. seriously poor design.

On the other hand, I like the small feel of my XTi over the 30D I shoot with for yearbook. :)

I've never used a Nikon, but I would also consider that if you are getting the D60 or D40/D40x you are narrowing your lens selection quite a bit and will be more expensive in the long run if you do expand your lens collection.

I personally have no complaints about the XTi. It's really simple and easy to use. Yeah, I'd take a 30D or 40D over any rebel, but what I've seen about the XSi doesn't quite justify the extra cost in my mind, as I plan on upgrading to a xxD someday anyways. Someone also mentioned that you can share gear if you both go with one company and I'll repeat that.

Most reactions

Back