D600 shutter oil spot question

I checked my d600. no oil spots.
bummer. I'm sure they cleaned it while it was in last month.

So it's been back a month, and the oil issue hasn't returned? If so, that's a cool feeling.
Actually it had the shutter replaced back in July 2015.
I had a snafu the other month and had to send it in to fix the mount. I also complained about some potential oil spots .. but I think they just cleaned it and sent it back (with the other costly repairs).

but no noticeable oil spots since last year.
I'm going to have to use it more ... want to get a free upgrade to a d610.

Not a D600 but My D7200 through a few big lubricant spots about a little ways down from the top shortly after I bought this past February the first few hundred shots.I noticed in a shot above a bird In flight with the blue sky.This made me go looking for other ones and found a few more. I Cleaned it using several wet swabs to get it off,It was a PITA but I got it off.Now I have 20,160 clicks and it's looking good. I think someone on the assembly line misunderstood a few drops of lub for a few dozen. Besides the know issue with the D600 and none reported that i know of with other models the lubricant slinging still happens periodically with different models. Someone i know has a D5500 purchased new a few months ago and the sensor is a mess.

Last edited:
Not a D600 but My D7200 through a few big lubricant spots about a little ways down from the top shortly after I bought this past February the first few hundred shots.I noticed in a shot above a bird In flight with the blue sky.This made me go looking for other ones and found a few more. I Cleaned it using several wet swabs to get it off. I was a PITA but I got it off.Now I have 20,160 clicks and it looking good. I think someone on the assembly line misunderstood a few drops of lub for a few dozen.
The good thing with the D600 though is if it happens after a new shutter replacement, you get a new D610 camera. It's like buy a used d600, and hope to upgrade later to a new d610 or newer version. :)

I may try holding out until the d620 comes out.

My D600 came back today with a new shutter. Haven't even taken it out of the plastic yet. I'm probably going to sell it. The D700 I got in the meantime is so much better for how I shoot, except the AF system in the D500 has me completely spoiled. The D700 does Af a little quicker than the D600, but the D500 is like instant with my 500. Pretty much have a conundrum on my hands for a back up. It's starting to look like a D4 is probably the best bet, but I don't want to spend that much. oh what to do...

I'm surprised to learn that the D600 lags behind the D700 as I was shocked at how much better the D600 was as compared to the D5500.

Suppose I shouldn't have been surprised, but...

My D600 came back today with a new shutter. Haven't even taken it out of the plastic yet. I'm probably going to sell it. The D700 I got in the meantime is so much better for how I shoot, except the AF system in the D500 has me completely spoiled. The D700 does Af a little quicker than the D600, but the D500 is like instant with my 500. Pretty much have a conundrum on my hands for a back up. It's starting to look like a D4 is probably the best bet, but I don't want to spend that much. oh what to do...
Well, think to yourself how many kidneys do I have. Then think, how many do I actually need?

Lol

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Well, think to yourself how many kidneys do I have. Then think, how many do I actually need?

Lol

Well kidneys are slightly over-rated. But after much debate with myself, I think I came up with a better solution. I've been thinking of a FX to match the performance of the D500, and short of the the D5 it's not going to happen.. Solution is sell my 300 F4 and Tammy 70-200 non VC and just get a 300 F2.8 af-s non VR and an old beater D300 in case something happens to my D500. That way I can use the D500 and 300 F2.8 for my hawk setup or if I'm feeling weak.. I'll have a smaller setup!

Nikon has had my D600 since Friday. Haven't heard from them yet, but I have the UPS tracker, showing they have it.
I'll be hitting up Big Bend National Park this upcoming weekend, without it.

Nikon has had my D600 since Friday. Haven't heard from them yet, but I have the UPS tracker, showing they have it.
I'll be hitting up Big Bend National Park this upcoming weekend, without it. Boo! D800 to the rescue.
don't worry. Nikon shipped back my d600 without telling me. They also charged my CC before asking to fix it.

Lol

Well kidneys are slightly over-rated. But after much debate with myself, I think I came up with a better solution. I've been thinking of a FX to match the performance of the D500, and short of the the D5 it's not going to happen.. Solution is sell my 300 F4 and Tammy 70-200 non VC and just get a 300 F2.8 af-s non VR and an old beater D300 in case something happens to my D500. That way I can use the D500 and 300 F2.8 for my hawk setup or if I'm feeling weak.. I'll have a smaller setup!
you certainly stock pile the lenses quickly after switched back to the promised land ....

how about a 300S ?

I'll be hitting up Big Bend National Park this upcoming weekend, without it. Boo! D800 to the rescue.
don't worry. Nikon shipped back my d600 without telling me. They also charged my CC before asking to fix it.
Hope they don't ship mine back, while I'm away. Don't need that box sitting at my door. Ha, they don't work that fast, anyway.

I never experienced shooting a full frame nikon, thinking about renting a D750 just for comparison to the D7200. From some article I have read somewhere on the inter webs full of lies said the D7200 and the D750 IQ is about the same up to 6400.I think I recall a comparison samples and I couldn't see any difference with the Image quality,color or sharpness but I know the advantage's to full frame in general after owning and shooting the Canon 6D and a 60D the 6D blew the 60D out of the water with IQ and noise.

how about a 300S ?
This is how it went down. Returned the D700, Sold the D600 with a 28-75 Tammy, sold the 300 F4, still need to sell the Tammy 70-200. Purchased a nice kit with a D300, Tamron 70-300 VC and a cheap 28-80 for $450. A friend of mine want the Tamron for $250, so I got the D300 and a beater lens for $200. I already have the grip and CF card from when I got the D700.
And today the beauty of the Nikon 300 F2.8 AF-S II showed up. Gorgeous lens and super light at 5.5#. For some reason it doesn't feel much heavier than the Tamron 150-600. I couldn't find much to shoot, but here is a gull sample raw wide open. I do shoot in flat to get a better idea of highlights in the histogram, so you will have to change it to standard. But here is the file to play with.. DSC_6561.NEF

I never experienced shooting a full frame nikon, thinking about renting a D750 just for comparison to the D7200. From some article I have read somewhere on the inter webs full of lies said the D7200 and the D750 IQ is about the same up to 6400.I think I recall a comparison samples and I couldn't see any difference with the Image quality,color or sharpness but I know the advantage's to full frame in general after owning and shooting the Canon 6D and a 60D the 6D blew the 60D out of the water with IQ and noise.
If you are focal length limited there is no advantage to a FX camera. Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

how about a 300S ?
This is how it went down. Returned the D700, Sold the D600 with a 28-75 Tammy, sold the 300 F4, still need to sell the Tammy 70-200. Purchased a nice kit with a D300, Tamron 70-300 VC and a cheap 28-80 for $450. A friend of mine want the Tamron for $250, so I got the D300 and a beater lens for $200. I already have the grip and CF card from when I got the D700.
And today the beauty of the Nikon 300 F2.8 AF-S II showed up. Gorgeous lens and super light at 5.5#. For some reason it doesn't feel much heavier than the Tamron 150-600. I couldn't find much to shoot, but here is a gull sample raw wide open. I do shoot in flat to get a better idea of highlights in the histogram, so you will have to change it to standard. But here is the file to play with.. DSC_6561.NEF

If you are focal length limited there is no advantage to a FX camera. Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting
Loved the RAW file. If you lighten the eye a shade it really changes the character of your subject! Very sharp capture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back