D700 coming soon...what's the most important thing to know?

I am expecting a D700 by the end of this week. I had a D7000 prior. For all those who have and do own a D700, what is the most important piece of info that you can give me going from DX to FX. Any quirks that I should know about? THANKS!

I went D7000 to D700.

1st thing you'll notice is build quality BETTER

Next you'll notice controls, buttons, menu's are too simple

Next you'll notice it focuses SO MUCH FASTER you'll wonder "is it focusing" then you remember green light you see means go

At this point you will thank yourself over and over

Then you'll notice how much closer you can get and better depth of field at same focal lengths of your 70-200 VRII @ 20mm portrait and body shots, you don't even have to back up all the way across your backyard to shoot the pretty girls.

Then you'll notice it just works better.

Congrats.
2Wheel Photo:
are you getting a faster focus with your 70-200 2.8 - haven't made that purchase yet. I photograph my daughter's indoor volleyball with 70-200 f/4.5-5.6, not bad, but not quick enough. and definately not sharp enough

BTW, I do hope you know you need FX lenses for that thing... right?

BTW, I do hope you know you need FX lenses for that thing... right?

You don't NEED so called FX lenses. The camera is fully functional with any DX lenses the owner might have. the camera can be set to automatically select it's crop mode, or not, when such a lens is mounted. You still have a really well taught out camera with great features and good high iso performance.

My state farm insurance lady will cry if i drop my D700 =)

I am expecting a D700 by the end of this week. I had a D7000 prior. For all those who have and do own a D700, what is the most important piece of info that you can give me going from DX to FX. Any quirks that I should know about? THANKS!

I went D7000 to D700.

Next you'll notice it focuses SO MUCH FASTER you'll wonder "is it focusing" then you remember green light you see means go

Then you'll notice how much closer you can get and better depth of field at same focal lengths of your 70-200 VRII @ 20mm portrait and body shots, you don't even have to back up all the way across your backyard to shoot the pretty girls.

Congrats.
2Wheel Photo:
are you getting a faster focus with your 70-200 2.8 - haven't made that purchase yet. I photograph my daughter's indoor volleyball with 70-200 f/4.5-5.6, not bad, but not quick enough. and definately not sharp enough

The 24-70 2.8 is my workhorse and thats the one I popped off the D7000 and was faster to find focus on the D700, I haven't compared/noticed the 70-200

Manaheim, I have a 50 1.4g and a 70-200, but will be looking to purchase a wide angle when I can recoup from the $$ spent on the D700.

I think I will call State Farm insurance today! Too much $ invested to not have insurance :/

I think I will call State Farm insurance today! Too much $ invested to not have insurance :/

As long as you're not a pro the insurance is DIRT CHEAP with zero deductible. My D700, 24-70, 70-200, pocketwizards, lights, manfrotto carbin tripod, etc etc is around a $100 a year. Was much cheaper till I added the 70-200

WOW! That is cheap and I would be a moron not to get it!! Adding that to my list of things to do today (along with the other 100 things).

Patrice said:
You don't NEED so called FX lenses. The camera is fully functional with any DX lenses the owner might have. the camera can be set to automatically select it's crop mode, or not, when such a lens is mounted. You still have a really well taught out camera with great features and good high iso performance.

If you happen to be ok with a 5mp image instead of a 12mp one...

I wouldn't call that FULLY functional.

I went D7000 to D700.

Congrats.
2Wheel Photo:

The 24-70 2.8 is my workhorse and thats the one I popped off the D7000 and was faster to find focus on the D700, I haven't compared/noticed the 70-200

please let me know if and when you do - i'd appreciate it. images produced by my 24-70 f/2.8 are definately better than those from my 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 - but i cannot complain.

Patrice said:

If you happen to be ok with a 5mp image instead of a 12mp one...

I wouldn't call that FULLY functional.
Some DX lens project an image circle that almost covers a FX image sensor, so more than the 5.2 MP in the central portion of the sensor can be used.

The DX auto detect function just has to be turned off.

Last edited:
KmH said:
Some DX lens project an image circle that almost covers a FX image sensor, so more than the 5.2 MP in the central portion of the sensor can be used.

Errr... While I haven't researched this lately, what you say doesn't seem to make any sense. Even if it did cover "more" you are still going to be cropping the rounded edges. That means a lot of loss.

Do you have a link to demonstrate your argument?

The only one that comes to mind is the 12-24 f/4 DX at certain focal lengths. Could you elaborate?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back