d810 vs d750 vs d610 af points

Seems almost imperceptible.

Much ado about basically, nothing. Here is a good article on AF systems. Go down to the sub-heading entitled AF Point Coverage, and learn why it's not technically possible to have AF points clear out to the edge of a large sensor. Canon EOS DSLR Autofocus Explained

As to the headline in the original article, they seem to be using the word "wider" improperly. The width of the AF system seems almost identical; it is the HEIGHT of the AF sensor array that seems slightly lower in the D750 as opposed to in the D810. As far as width, the D810 and D750 look pretty close to one another, and also pretty close to the width of the system used in the Canon 5D Mark III, and close in height as well, although the 5D-III appears to have a bit more height right in the center of the frame than do the Nikons.

The D750's AF system goes below -3EV where the D810 only -2EV...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince said:
The D750's AF system goes below -3EV where the D810 only -2EV...

Yes, that is what has been stated. From the early user reports I have read on the D750, the low-light AF capability is very strong. People need to remember, it's not just about the AF squares: there is more to an AF system than just the little square boxes on the viewfinder's screen, and some of that "other stuff" determines how well a camera focuses in the real world. It's not just about AF module numbering either. The D750 is targeting a very high-end amateur customer, or the high-volume portraiture/wedding/event professional shooters who might otherwise look to the Canon 5D Mark III.

As to the headline in the original article, they seem to be using the word "wider" improperly. The width of the AF system seems almost identical; it is the HEIGHT of the AF sensor array that seems slightly lower in the D750 as opposed to in the D810. [...]
Which, to me, is a relief. I really need those wide AF points for portraits quite often. The height would be nice to have, too, but in Landscape its easier to make some compromises in this regard.

One of the main reasons I am aways looking at the mirrorless cameras is their much wider field of focus points.

The difference between the 810 and 750 look about the same as the difference between the 750 and 610 (makes sense enough as the 750 is between the 2)

The enclosing lines around the boxes give a sense that there is a bigger difference than there is.

As said above there is more to focus than just the squares. I often found it odd when people would dis 39 point af when 51 was in a replacement model. 39 is more than enough but the 51 point system had more to improve it than just it's 12 extra points.

My camera is set to only display 11 points out of 39...

Newb

because I choose to only care about cross-focus points?

Do you realize how much easier it is to select a focus point on this? http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d600/af-11-points.gif

If I need to change from the far right point to left it's 4 button presses, when it's set to 39 points it's 10.

I see no real benefit in displaying all 39 when selecting the initial single point. I use D9 the majority of the time and it still uses all 39 points when tracking.

Maybe you're all the newbs and I realize the quality is better than quantity.

Newb

because I choose to only care about cross-focus points?

Do you realize how much easier it is to select a focus point on this? http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d600/af-11-points.gif

If I need to change from the far right point to left it's 4 button presses, when it's set to 39 points it's 10.

I see no real benefit in displaying all 39 when selecting the initial single point. I use D9 the majority of the time and it still uses all 39 points when tracking.

Nono, merely trying to incite a riot. I have mine to show all 51 and half the time that's way more than I need. So much so that I've been tempted to have set it to show less. It takes a while to click from one side to the other. And yeah, I've found D9 to be pretty effective [emoji106][emoji106]

where's my pitchfork?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back