Dealing with focus issue...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by deedubss123, Nov 6, 2017.

1. deedubss123

deedubss123 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been a photographer for two years and just recently, wondering why my photos aren't tack sharp with my specific lens. Its 24-70 2.8 Canon. I shoot with a Canon Mark IV.

This photo was taken this past weekend of a large group and I feel like the image isnt tack sharp. It seems very soft and almost noisy to me. What could I possibly be doing wrong for it to be like this? I was standing about 5 feet from the group.

Using my 24-70 2.8 lens - I was at 33mm, F/5.6 , 1/320 ISO 800 - I was standing probably 5 feet in front of them. How come the image seems soft. Is it b/c of my meter or AF points? I focused on boy in front, assuming focus would fall behind and hit everyone else, correct? Any veterans have advice?

2. deedubss123

deedubss123 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    SOOC

Attached Files:

3. DGMPhotography

DGMPhotography Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    What type of focus are you using? You should be using single-point focus if you're not already.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It's kind of hard to tell at the size you've uploaded, which looks decently sharp.
    You need to upload a crop of a section of it that is showing your sharpness whilst the image is at full size (a 100% crop). That way we can see what you're seeing fullsize; as opposed to a resized version for the net

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    On my phone. It looks like high ISO a d not focus. And Five feet at 33mm????That is a horrible distance and focal length for a group photo, guaranteed to cause foteshortening.looking at the photo I would say that your estimate of your distance is incorrect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Derrel. 60 mm, a few steps back probably would have a given you what you are looking for providing you were in the proper focus mode. Being that close at that f/stop may have given you a tight window for DOF in relation to the number of people. You could have stopped down a stop or two, maintained a workable shutter speed, and brought more people in focus. However, at that distance you actually shot it at, now your dealing with a non compressed image of people.

7. deedubss123

deedubss123 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I never have grain issues when shooting at 800 ISO. The Mark IV handles it so well so makes me wonder why it is grain. Here is a screen shot of zoomed in at 100%. Anyone interested in seeing the RAW file? Can send via email.

8. deedubss123

deedubss123 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just tried to upload screen shot and its saying the file is too big which I dont understand how that could be....

9. deedubss123

deedubss123 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes I toggle my focus points currently

10. deedubss123

deedubss123 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    crop2.jpg crop1.jpg crop2.jpg crop2.jpg crop2.jpg crop1.jpg

11. deedubss123

deedubss123 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I uploaded the 100% crops of some of the people in the family. Let me know what you think

12. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

It would be normal to have a very tiny amount of noise at ISO 800 if you view at 100% crop. It's not much (and it's very easy to manage) but it isn't zero.

When I look at this image, mostly what I notice is the blue cast on the white balance (it needs to be warmed up) and the color seems desaturated.

I also notice the focus is a little better on the subjects that are nearer to the camera (and you said you used f/5.6).

But it's difficult to provide a good evaluation since these are JPEGs and have no EXIF data in them.

Did you shoot RAW? Do you have a straight-out-of-the-camera shot you can share (not a JPEG) with all the EXIF data still intact?