Did Adobe LIE?

There's no difference that I can see between the products, just the amount of online storage.

I just don't quite see the appeal for cloud storage for source files. I do like the idea of LR mobile, but I don't need to storage my raw files or PSDs in a cloud. I'd much rather have storage space to put client galleries.

Without the cloud you'd have massive synching/time between devices.

I get that, but what good is putting source files on the cloud. where else am I going to work on a photoshop file?

the cloud approach also makes it absolutely ridiculously hard for businesses with actual security to use the software.

for example, I'm in govt, guess what version of PS and IL I don't use...

@Braineack I agree with you, as I believe they've overestimated the number of people who would actually want to do editing on multiple devices. However one thing that might be happening is if the image and editing functions are on the cloud and all you are doing is accessing them via the web, then the device you use would not need nearly the computing power.

On some other forum/FB group some people did the calculations for how long it would take for them to upload a weeks worth of photos to the cloud (RAW images) and figured it would take them longer than a week on average. (Not everyone has super high speed upload bandwidth availability) Most people who were full time photographers all tended to agree that uploading all their work just did not make any sense whatsoever from a speed factor alone, never mind all the security concerns. And I agree about the naming. They could probably have not made it anymore confusing had they tried.

Has anyone installed both versions of LR yet? I just upgraded the desktop version, but I'm hesitant to install the cloud version, for fear it will invalidate the other.

1234.JPG

i just updated PS and LR (classic) but havent dared to install the cloud LR for fear ill get automatically charged more.

i just updated PS and LR (classic) but havent dared to install the cloud LR for fear ill get automatically charged more.

Oh, and there's that as well!!! It's not explained very well!!!

I've not got the new lightroom option so I've only got the normal version installed.

That said I have at last uninstalled the former version of lightroom I had (5.something) as my system was getting confused which to use at times (interestingly even trying to set lightroom CC classic to default it still kept using the other lightroom - until I removed it of course).

If you click on the drop down at install, you'll see that they give you an option to Uninstall the old versions. The box is checked by default- wasn't that nice of them?

Edit----you click on the update button, then click on advanced.

Last edited:
Anyone tried the new version yet and have any thoughts? I'm honestly more excited about the updates to Lightroom Classic supposedly making it faster.

I've been considering getting Photo Mechanic for speed, but we'll see how this plays out.

Just updated Classic LR.... and oh yes. Much faster. I love it.

Reactions: pez

Most reactions

New Topics

Back