DIFFERENCES IN PHOTOSHOP

im_trying11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i know that the features differ a bit in element to the real version, but why is there such a price difference. Is it really that much better? I want the full version but i cant justify spend more on software than i did on my camera.

You may want to consider LightRoom 2.0... its not a CS4, but you may not need all of the functionality that CS3-4 offer.

buy software? I don't get it.

trying going to adobes site you can compare different software on there. they also offer 30day trials of most of their stuff.

-------------

Last edited:
Please don't STEAL people's hard work. Adobe spends money creating software, so they deserve return for their work. It's simply stealing, just like at a store.

He suggested trying the 30 day trials, he didn't say anything about stealing it. Adobe puts the trials out so that you can try them without spending the $$ for them just to find its not what you wanted or needed. If you like it you will "hopefully" purchase the license. It is easy to go and find key gens and cracked copies, but if you are serious about your computer and doing this for awhile, you will buy it to avoid a virus or adware/spyware etc...

Who is saying anything about stealing? Guys, go back and read the posts... the words theft, steal or whatever don't appear anywhere.

I suggested LR2 because it is a LOT more affordable than CS4 extended edition... and as someone that has a camera that is 3 digits, he may not need anything more!

I have elements 6 and I have absolutely no problems. Its about $90 and has all the features you will need for photography. Not once have I felt limited with it. That extra money is better spent on a lens.

i know that the features differ a bit in element to the real version, but why is there such a price difference. Is it really that much better? I want the full version but i cant justify spend more on software than i did on my camera.

Older versions of PS (say, v. 5 or 6) can be bought for the same or lower
prices than the current version of Elements. If you want to save $ that
might be the way to go.

Or, The GIMP is free and very good too.

perhaps the reaction and statement about stealing was with regard to the statement " buy software? I don't get it". This statement could be taken that way, or perhapes the poster just means they use trial version frequently.

Im still using CS2, does everything I need. However Im looking into lightroom for mor organisation of photos (iPhoto at the moment).

I have both CS3 and LR2 and do 90% of my work in LR.

You should be fine with that

i know that the features differ a bit in element to the real version, but why is there such a price difference. Is it really that much better?

Photoshop is the top-of-the-line, professional, graphics software for a number of industries besides photography. There's a lot of features packed into it; many of which most photogs would never use. As pro tools go it's pretty cheap; it may be more expensive than your camera, but compared to most pro cameras it's cheap. :)

Here's a link that lists some of the differences between CS3 and Elements 6.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm

I just upgraded from CS2 to Lightroom 2 and CS4. I am blown away by Lightroom 2, and haven't even played much with CS4 yet. I would agree with the above comments that Lightroom 2 covers 90%+ of what most photogs need. It'll handle all the processing, and basic image manipulations like dodging and burning, retouching, etc... I still need Photoshop for perspective correction, HDR, pano stitching, and more complicated effects.

Another option you should check out is Gimp. I've never used it, but many claim it's as good as Photoshop, and I think it's shareware?

http://www.gimp.org/

Please don't STEAL people's hard work. Adobe spends money creating software, so they deserve return for their work. It's simply stealing, just like at a store.

Believe it or not adobe doesn't mind people stealing their stuff, ever hear them complain? So many people steal it. Its self advertising. Almost everyone has photoshop because its so good and easy to get. It's so expensive because companies realize its so good and many people have knowledge with it. So they buy these expensive licenses to use it. Adobe makes PLENTY of money.

Believe it or not adobe doesn't mind people stealing their stuff, ever hear them complain? So many people steal it. Its self advertising. Almost everyone has photoshop because its so good and easy to get. It's so expensive because companies realize its so good and many people have knowledge with it. So they buy these expensive licenses to use it. Adobe makes PLENTY of money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techniques_of_neutralization

I'd be pissed if Adobe stole one of my photos, so I don't steal their software.

I agree with what some people said above, if you don't think you need the full phototoshop version go with LR (even better priced if you are a student or teacher!). Lightroom is very usable and does a ton of the brute work. I use to probably do 20% of my editing in RAW and the rest in photoshop, with LR I am now doing probably closer to 60%. I know a ton of photographers who do probably 98% of their work in LR so it can be done!

Now regarding not purchasing a valid license (by the way OP this statement is not directed at you... just responding to what other have said) - if Adobe didn't care they probably wouldn't be in business. When you think about how cutting edge they are on so many fronts and really, with what competition? (not like the car industry where all the other company has to do is buy their competitors car, take it apart and wa-la.. there are the heart of their newest invention) It is expensive due to this and well worth every penny if you asked me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back