Dipping my foot in the water: What's a good approach?

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm enjoying photography quite a bit. I've been shooting for about three months now. My shutter count on my D5200 is about 7000 now, and I've really learned a lot. I've been on my computer researching and learning for at least a couple hours a day for the past three months, so I've really put in a lot of time into the hobby. I know I still have lots to learn, and I expect to spend at the bare minimum another six-twelve months before I start taking real steps toward trying to make money (if I do at all) out of photography.

What I'm wondering is this: What's a good way to dip my foot into getting into photography part-time (and paid)? I'm a full-time University student (23 years old), and I'd love to do a little photography for money, even if it's only one shoot every month or two. I don't exactly want to start a thriving business on the get-go.

I know the type of gear that I'll need to pick up and the money that I'll need to invest, but I don't know which type of work might be best to start with if I'm looking to only begin semi-casually?

Look on Craigslist. There are always people on their looking for a budget photographer. Either make an add (great because it is free) or just look for people looking for someone. Usually you won't get paid much but it's a start.

If you can do some work with another photographer that is more established as a second shooter/ assistant. Great learning experience. I have done it for free just to learn and trust me as my first job it was a awesome learning experience. And I also got a paying job out of it. The photographer had a client that didn't want to pay him his quote so he referred me and I ended up shooting the gradution party for my first paying gig. And it was solo so another learning experience.

What I'm wondering is this: What's a good way to dip my foot into getting into photography part-time (and paid)? I'm a full-time University student (23 years old), and I'd love to do a little photography for money, even if it's only one shoot every month or two. I don't exactly want to start a thriving business on the get-go.

It would help is we knew what type of photography you want to pursue. For example shooting weddings, sports or landscapes would each have a different approach on how to begin getting payed.

Look on Craigslist. There are always people on their looking for a budget photographer. Either make an add (great because it is free) or just look for people looking for someone. Usually you won't get paid much but it's a start.

If you can do some work with another photographer that is more established as a second shooter/ assistant. Great learning experience. I have done it for free just to learn and trust me as my first job it was a awesome learning experience. And I also got a paying job out of it. The photographer had a client that didn't want to pay him his quote so he referred me and I ended up shooting the gradution party for my first paying gig. And it was solo so another learning experience.

Thanks for the info :)

It would help is we knew what type of photography you want to pursue. For example shooting weddings, sports or landscapes would each have a different approach on how to begin getting payed.

A wedding would be too cumbersome to start, though it's something I'm interested in. Portrait work, stuff like graduation or family shots, kid shots, etc, might be interesting to start out with. Something where I can do a photoshoot for 2-4 hours. I am interested in all types of photography (sports, weddings, landscapes, you name it), so for me what I'm more concerned about is beginning small and simple, but still getting into the whole thing. Currently it's still just a thought.

3 months is really not much time at all. Why such a rush to try to make money? Why not spend a few years learning and improving to the point that people are wanting to pay you. spend the time to learn what photography you like and study that field to get good at it. in that time you can also study business, marketing etc, etc, etc, to be able to run a business properly. by that time you can get good gear, get backup gear. Learn lighting, learn what to do in crappy light situations. learn better processing, and everything else that goes along with running a sucsessful business.

No offense intended and I don't want to sound like a gear snob, but you have entry level gear right now. There's a reason for that, to learn basic photography skills with. Take 12sndsgood's advice to spend time with the "hobby" to become proficient. Consistant results under various and demanding lighting conditions will be your guide to move to the next level.

Further on the topic of gear, what I see missing is any mention of lighting. It's virtually impossible to shoot any of the genres you've mentioned without lighting and do a good job. I would consider spending some money on basic lighting gear and learn how to use that effectively first!

Sports and landscapes don't really require lights, the equipment you need here are lenses. Something wider than what you have, for landscapes, and something faster than your long zoom for sports. Portraits can be done without lights, but it's a hell of a lot easier with, and most of the other stuff you just need lights because you can't control the situation enough to shoot well without them. At least not in contemporary idioms. I don't think the gritty b&w photojournalistic wedding shoot is a thing any more, for instance, is it? Anyways, that would be a bad place to try to jump in even if it was on account of it's hard.

There's nothing wrong with pursuing all of the genres at once, but there are different skills for each area. If you want to skip ahead briskly to being paid to do it, you should pick one and push forward. If you want to actually make money, you should pick one based on needs in your area, and then pursue the skills for that specific niche.

There's nothing wrong with pursuing all of the genres at once, but there are different skills for each area. If you want to skip ahead briskly to being paid to do it, you should pick one and push forward. If you want to actually make money, you should pick one based on needs in your area, and then pursue the skills for that specific niche.

Exactly

Even just part time, you really need a written business and marketing plan if you want to start a business.
Starting & Managing a Business | SBA.gov

The town you live in may require that you get a business license, and don't forget to consider taxes, producing the necessary legal documents (like a contract), acquiring business liability insurance.
In short, there is a lot to starting even a part time business.

The realities are - With the gear you have, and your limited experience it's not very likely you will make any money.
That's not to say people won't give you money for your services, but it's likely your cost of doing business (CODB) will exceed your revenues for the foreseeable future.

The first $800 or so you get paid will cover what your camera cost. At least a part of the cost of any other hardware, software, cell phone usage, office supplies, etc, you use/buy to produce a product for your customers is also CODB.

Note that a portion of your CODB is also whatever salary you decide to pay yourself, if any.

The realities are - With the gear you have, and your limited experience it's not very likely you will make any money.
That's not to say people won't give you money for your services, but it's likely your cost of doing business (CODB) will exceed your revenues for the foreseeable future.

"I know the type of gear that I'll need to pick up and the money that I'll need to invest"

I'm not sure why I need to reiterate this so many times, but I've quoted three responses so far. This isn't a thread asking about the gear I need, I don't need any help with that at all. I know exactly the gear I need for each type of job. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but the elitist approach of "you've only been shooting for ____, you don't know what you're doing" is extremely patronizing. While photography is a profession that requires talent, experience, etc, etc... I can name all those ego-tickling words for people who have spent years in any field... it's neither friendly nor helpful to post comments such as "you need to be shooting longer". I am very aware of my level of experience in photography, how much knowledge I have, how much I need to learn to bring enough competency to a photoshoot, how much I'll need to invest, etc. I suppose it might be the open-endedness of my question that opened this floodgate of "you're a beginner you should know this..." comments.

To reiterate my question: I know there's so many different types of photography, and there's subtypes upon subtypes that require different gear, levels of experience, property, employees, etc... I'm simply looking for more insight into which types of shoots I could do that last 2-4 hours, can be taken sort-of on a craigslist-type transaction, etc. I'm thinking general portraiture sort of jobs (ex. family shots, a small event, etc) might be the way to go. I'm not looking for consistent work: Just something to give a go at. I don't intend to do any paid work until I've done lots more free work and built up my experience... but, again, this whole "you don't know anything, go learn" advice is hog-wash: I know quite a bit.

What I'm asking about (and I appreciate your input in particular since it's good) is simply what areas might be easier to get into than others. I'm specifically interested in small jobs, and just for fun, but still paid (even if it's only a bit). I'm not looking to turn a profit necessarily... rather, I'd just want to mitigate a bit of the cost of the gear. It's a hobby, and probably always will be.

No offense intended and I don't want to sound like a gear snob, but you have entry level gear right now. There's a reason for that, to learn basic photography skills with. Take 12sndsgood's advice to spend time with the "hobby" to become proficient. Consistant results under various and demanding lighting conditions will be your guide to move to the next level.

No offense intended but you need to read what I've posted in its entirety. I already know I have entry-level gear at the moment. Hence:
"I know the type of gear that I'll need to pick up and the money that I'll need to invest, but I don't know which type of work might be best to start with if I'm looking to only begin semi-casually?"

Further on the topic of gear, what I see missing is any mention of lighting. It's virtually impossible to shoot any of the genres you've mentioned without lighting and do a good job. I would consider spending some money on basic lighting gear and learn how to use that effectively first!

"I know the type of gear that I'll need to pick up and the money that I'll need to invest, but I don't know which type of work might be best to start with if I'm looking to only begin semi-casually?"

Last edited:
No worries, TPF actually posts robotic replies when anyone starts to talk about going from unpaid to paid photography. There's no actual humans in this thread except you at the moment.

CODB CODB CODB

A good way to 'dip you foot in' is by taking the time to learn the basics of the craft. To do that, you need the proper tools - give some of us who have been doing this for a day or two longer than you have for knowing that sometimes people just starting out don't know what they don't know, and our experience tells us that sometimes it's helpful to answer the questions that aren't asked as well as the ones that are. I don't suppose it occurred to you that when several experienced individuals tell you the same thing, there might be a reason?

simple answer, shoot what you love. If you love it you will stick with it, if you go out specifically to shoot something just so you can pay for a new lens you wont enjoy it, and if this is just a side adventure for you why do something you don't love. You need to go out and shoot different fields and find out what fits in for you. not what you can make easy money on. easy money for me would be going out and shooting an automotive shoot. Why? because I have shot them for several years, enjoy them. and can do it with my eyes closed. so for me that is easy money, can be done in a couple hours and isn't too gear intensive. If you not into cars why would you do that if they didn't interest you? go out and find what you like to shoot. if you like portraits, start working portraits. whatever you do you should enjoy it and you wont know what it is you enjoy till you go out and shoot more.

A good way to 'dip you foot in' is by taking the time to learn the basics of the craft. To do that, you need the proper tools - give some of us who have been doing this for a day or two longer than you have for knowing that sometimes people just starting out don't know what they don't know, and our experience tells us that sometimes it's helpful to answer the questions that aren't asked as well as the ones that are. I don't suppose it occurred to you that when several experienced individuals tell you the same thing, there might be a reason?

Alright, to clarify what I know: I already know how to set up lighting for the particular things I'm interested in. I realize that it would be beneficial to pick up at the bare minimum a D7100 (if I'm on a budget) so that I can get 1/8000 of a second shots, as well as commander. I realize that if I start to take on paid work, I'll most likely need to have two camera bodies with me, and depending on the work my D5200 might be a bit lacking just on the flash limitations (though it should be fine if I throw something like an SB700 on it for commander). I realize that for particular kinds of work that I'll need various lighting equipment (diffusors, reflectors, flash tripods, multiple flash units, etc, etc). I realize for different types of jobs various types of things may be of use (black rapid, monopod, tripod, and other things). I could go on and on. I've watched countless hours of videos and read countless hours of articles, and I've spent many hours shooting. While that doesn't add up to making me a professional or ready to run a photoshoot, it still brings me up to a speed that most beginners aren't at in the amount of time I've been shooting. I've already conceded that I intend to continue shooting and learning for some time before I even start considering taking on a specific job.

I'm in the process of picking out a flash head for my D5200, and I'll be connecting it via a wire, so that I can do some single-flash off-camera photography. I find flash and lighting to be quite straight-forward in many ways... while there's lots to learn (bouncing light, controlling light, limiting light, throwing on filters to take the camera down a few stops while maintaining the same DoF, etc), I think I have a considerable grasp on it all.

I'm considering picking up a 17-55 in the place of my 16-85 now (for my own purposes: walk-arounds), though I'm also weighing the option of just sticking it out for a while and shifting to FX with a 24-70 f2.8. If I got into doing any shoots, I wouldn't have the cash for a Nikon 70-200 f2.8, so I'd either be shooting with a Tamron/Sigma 70-200 f2.8, and/or an 85mm 1.8G, depending on what I'd need for the telephoto/portrait reach end. I realize there's lots of different lenses for different jobs, I know what lenses are good for each job, I know that there is variation between each photographer and what they find works best for the job, and I know having multiple camera bodies can be useful for a job... etc... etc.

I don't particularly want to get into writing an essay on what I know, but that's just a little bit of it. While I need to continue working on how I frame my shots, as far as getting consistent shots in demanding situations, I have that down (of course I can use more practice and use different gear, but I know I am a consistent photographer at least without flash -- and I know the limitations and how to push those limitations given my gear and any particular scenario/lighting situation).

As far as editing raw files goes, I also need to pick up an IPS screen. I have worked professionally with Photoshop, so photoshop and lightroom are second-nature to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back