Does anyone have any recommendations for off site storage?

They were tested and passed DOD testing simulating the aging with highly intensified UV and white light in amounts they would receive over that period as well as temperature and humidity at high levels. It is how testing is done on all things since no one wants to wait 1000 years for a result. Lol
Mdisc uses a layer of inorganic material that is etched by the high power laser instead of an organic dye layer and a separate reflective layer where the dye breaks down over time rendering the data irretrievable and the reflective layer gets scratched causing read errors.
The DOD knows how to keep data and how to destroy it completely when they want it gone. Its what they do.
I also use DOD erasure procedures to delete sensitive data.
Read more about mdisc here
Above I said 17¢ per mb, it should have been per GB.l

They were tested and passed DOD testing simulating the aging with highly intensified UV and white light in amounts they would receive over that period as well as temperature and humidity at high levels. It is how testing is done on all things since no one wants to wait 1000 years for a result. Lol
Mdisc uses a layer of inorganic material that is etched by the high power laser instead of an organic dye layer and a separate reflective layer where the dye breaks down over time rendering the data irretrievable and the reflective layer gets scratched causing read errors.
The DOD knows how to keep data and how to destroy it completely when they want it gone. Its what they do.
I still don't think they will last that long

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well the DOD does, and I do and a lot of other testing labs do, and besides, I know for a fact that you won't last that long (human lifespan is at most 100 years or so), so I guess you are even. :)

Well the DOD does, and I do and a lot of other testing labs do, and besides, I know for a fact that you won't last that long (human lifespan is at most 100 years or so), so I guess you are even. :)
I'll stick to negatives

By the time a DVD would be even close to losing data, we will more than likely have some new form of storage. It might still be optical, might even be in DVD format, but it will be of much higher capacity, which will probably need new equipment to read/write. You guys are looking at the longevity of the current technology, but are forgetting how quickly digital technology is developed and replaced. Who knows anyone still using laserdisc? I mean we have 6TB single-bay 3.5" HDDs available at home for crying out loud! We never though this was possible even 5 years ago. DVDs will still be around and readable, and I'm not saying you're going to want to completely convert your library, but by the time a DVD would be unreadable, you will probably be able to store tens of DVDs on a single piece of gear.

And they have never been wrong now have they????

I use backblaze as well, along with google drive. Even amazon prime has free unlimited storage, I usually put older client work on amazon to free up storage space.

+1 for Amazon cloud. Affordable and easy to use. You can access from anywhere and storage is currently unlimited including RAW files.

I think in a thousand years the first thing to come to mind isn't going to be if my M-Disk is readable.

I think in a thousand years the first thing to come to mind isn't going to be if my M-Disk is readable.
Perhaps we should ask this guy if it even lasts that long.

Love Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner.

Maybe the OP needed a backup of himself as he never came back.

I store a bunch of my stuff off-site at my former in-law's place, which is about 145 miles distant. They have a nice collection of under-utilized outbuildings, all newish, with good roofs.

Give him the address so he can do that too. ::)

I store a bunch of my stuff off-site at my former in-law's place, which is about 145 miles distant. They have a nice collection of under-utilized outbuildings, all newish, with good roofs.
Have they been there for 1000 years???

Most reactions

Back