Does Bandwidth = speed

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by cosmonaut, Apr 26, 2007.

1. cosmonaut

cosmonaut No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    My web site is slowing down, will buying more bandwidth speed it up? Or should I move my site? My pictures are low res images,
    Cosmo

2. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nope, bandwidth in the context to which web hosts refer to it, won't increase your speed.
    If the host has dual T3s, and gives you 400GB bandwidth, you'll only be able to transfer 400gb. If you double it to 800gb bandwidth, it's still coming over a dual T3 pipe. If your website is slowing down, usually means the host is overselling - putting more account then they really should on a single box.

3. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    exactly, what you want for more speed is quicker uploading from their site which, as mention, would need a different connection on their part.

4. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Check with the host. They may be able to speed you up a little.

5. Boden

Boden TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I run a small hosting operation to finance a project website. What you need to do is complain.

Depending on how the host is operating, there are a number of things they can do. The situation is most likely being caused by a minority of customers, perhaps one, using a lot of resources. It could also just be a runaway script, or a service going haywire, or an overlooked symptom of hardware malfunction, etc.

If you complain and the host does nothing, do not give them more money. Just move to a different host. If they do nothing, then they're simply dealing in volume and turnover is part of the game. This happens a lot, even to hosts that were once good.