DSLR for a 15-year-old?

I think it would be a huge mistake to buy a camera with trying it on for size first. Get this Canon, that Nikon, bla bla bla..if the shoe does not fit she is going to hate wearing it. Comfort is very important and everyone has different hands and fingers. All DSLR cameras today are very good. most people are brand loyal so of course they are going to tell you to go out and buy what they have because they like it. The dad says to the daughter, happy Bday, Im going to buy you a camera, lets go shopping. You tag along and offer advice, break down the jargon and say this and that is important in a camera. She finds one that feels nice, it is easy to use and within the budget, and daddy warbucks pays up and everyone is happy.
I have a newborn so it's hard for me to get around for now or I would.

This thread is asinine, all the way through. I also find it hard to believe that a "photographer" couldnt pick the entry level Canon DSLR without a thread. Was this just to stir ****? If it was you could have just put a spoon in Plato cause he's full of it.

I can appreciate that would make things harder for you. But I think if you are going to be able to help them as much as you can, you might want to leave the bubs with dad for an hour or 2. Having someone there with a little know how is always comforting when you are buying something you know nothing about. Its like buying a used car. The sales person just wants the sale and will spin any BS they can so you hand over your hard earned. But if you are there with someone who knows what to look for and knows if the sales person is lying or not, at least you walk away knowing you got your moneys worth or to just walk away. Good luck with it ;).

This thread is asinine, all the way through. I also find it hard to believe that a "photographer" couldnt pick the entry level Canon DSLR without a thread. Was this just to stir ****? If it was you could have just put a spoon in Plato cause he's full of it.
I don't know anything about entry-level DSLRs. I was shooting long before they came about. Wasn't trying to create trouble and am quite surprised at some of the posts.

I can appreciate that would make things harder for you. But I think if you are going to be able to help them as much as you can, you might want to leave the bubs with dad for an hour or 2. Having someone there with a little know how is always comforting when you are buying something you know nothing about. Its like buying a used car. The sales person just wants the sale and will spin any BS they can so you hand over your hard earned. But if you are there with someone who knows what to look for and knows if the sales person is lying or not, at least you walk away knowing you got your moneys worth or to just walk away. Good luck with it ;).
He works all week, and on the weekends he just wants to relax. I try to make his time off as easy as possible.

I figured this was the best place to get advise to pass along. I was going to refer this forum to her as well but now, I dunno. People are awful scrappy here :blushing:

He works all week, and on the weekends he just wants to relax. I try to make his time off as easy as possible.

I figured this was the best place to get advise to pass along. I was going to refer this forum to her as well but now, I dunno. People are awful scrappy here :blushing:

If shes getting a Canon, send her to Photography-on-the.net. A much better moderated forum. Perhaps can be a bit intimidating to start, but an overall better experience I would be willing to bet.

a 15 year old will be better off with a Nikon and not a Canon. That's why I recommended a D40 with a 17-55mm lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back