DSLR OR GOPRO ?????

DannyB90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like both but i don't know which one to buy ...
Any suggestions ?

What will you be using it for?

For example, if you're going to strap it to a helmet, the DSLR would probably not be the right choice.

Two different systems . It really does depend on what avenue of photography you are planning to persue.

For example, if you're going to strap it to a helmet, the DSLR would probably not be the right choice.
I just like taking photos and videos ... so far i've using my photos to do that ... so i decided that i want something better ...
But i don't know what to get....

If you don’t need the ability to attach a camera to something for long periods of time with the ability to withstand the elements, then a DSLR would probably be a better choice. It’ll be more expensive because of the lenses in the long run, but you’ll have better photographs and you’ll have the ability to create better videos.

I just like taking photos and videos ... so far i've using my photos to do that ... so i decided that i want something better ...

Depending on what type of video you want to capture, you may want to just go with the DSLR. The GoPro really limits you to a very wide angle lens, and as I understand it, no real control over DOF. The DSLR will allow you to have more control over your video, assuming you get a decent model capable of HD video.

I agree with @Village Idiot. Unless you want waterproof or rugged, it sounds like you'd rather have a DSLR. Or high-end point and shoot, if you don't need the 'bells and whistles' of a more advanced system.

If you don't want interchangeable lenses and whatnot, something like this would be perfect:

Canon G12 | Photography Forum

If you want a camera that combines advantages of GoPro and image quality and controls of a DSLR - then Ricoh GR is the best option.

I put a little P&S on my mountain bike when I do trails. I wouldn't even consider a dslr for this.
Too big and would probably get ripped off by a low lying branch.
Plus the depth of field from a small sensor camera is really a better fit for those scenarios.

fyi, I don't put it on my helmet, as I scrap by too many low lying branches/leaves and it would get caught too easily and ripped off. I had it on my helmet once, and after a few branches I quickly removed it, I would assume you could just get ripped off the bike with the right branch.

Always depends on what you plan do do with it....
if your happy with just one lens, dont even get a DSLR. get a nice point and shoot.
However if you want to be able to change the type of shot (lens change) or actually learn how to do photography, go DSLR
the GoPro only has a 12 meg camera, so for pictures, it's not your best bet, but great for a tiny video action camera. However there are cheaper action cameras out there, I've seen some sony action cam's that actaully look really nice. your local Scuba dive shop should also have some great action cameras available and often cheaper than the gopro.

it all depends on budget, what your gonna do with it, and how often you'll use it.

fyi, I don't put it on my helmet, as I scrap by too many low lying branches/leaves and it would get caught too easily and ripped off. I had it on my helmet once, and after a few branches I quickly removed it, I would assume you could just get ripped off the bike with the right branch.
BikingGrumpyCat.jpg

ha !!
If you're ever in the neighborhood you can ride the back of the tandem MTB ...

Thanks!

But I'm not that crazy. :boggled:

Most reactions

Back