Dumpster Diving...

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4513547644_9406818ebc_o.jpg

4512905705_6549ece23d_o.jpg

Just interested to hear what people think.

the first one makes me feel drunk since it is such a shallow dof... that is my favorite of the 2 though..

the 2nd one doesn't really keep my attention... not sure why :/

They would be so much better if they werent TS's

I love the colors of the buildings in #1.

#2 reminds me of a Where's Waldo illustration. I began searching for the dumpster as soon as I opened the post.

Did you do the blurring in PP? Makes me a little dizzy. But again, love the colors and the concept. I like trash :)

You have a tilt shift lens or bellows? Is this all photoshop blur?

I think they're interesting images, I also like how they're gritty.

You're one to notice things like parallel and diagonal lines and I think that shows here.

They remind me of model railroad towns.

I'm a fan of #1. To me, #2 lacks the color contrasts that #1 does, which makes it a little... boring?

The grittiness that I'm assuming comes from PP adds a nice character to it.

They remind me of model railroad towns.

I was going to mention the feeling I get from the shots, especially the first one, is of a minature setup.
Very creative.

Are you going to let us in on the whats and hows of the shot

What - equipment
How - did you shoot it

Good point. I should always take two pics and decide when one way works better than the other.

Are you going to let us in on the whats and hows of the shot

What - equipment
How - did you shoot it

Tilt Shift lens.

The grittyNess is done in PS. I've been experimenting with different methods. Layers, levels, layer inversion and gaussian blur applied to bring out outlines, sharpening, blending (layer opacity). It's fun stuff. I like the look, myself.

I like #1 better myself. I like the composition of rectangles in #2 and the focus being on the diagonal bridge. I also was playing with the idea that light advances, and dark receeds, to add visual confusion. Those were the two things that struck me with that scene. I plan on going back in the evening, and on a cloudy day to get rid of the strong shadows.
Maybe even HDR might help #2. *shrugs*

I think the reason #1 is a better composition then #2, is it is a simpler shot. There is less, "which is more". The eye does not get dragged around the shot as much in #1 as in #2...less confusion.

Not a big fan of TS used in that way but I think it works quite nicely in the 2nd one. It makes it look very abstract and I like the confusion created by the TS.

I like the tones that you got in the first one but the overall image just doesn't grab me. It might have helped if you had pushed the closer dumpster out of the way. Maybe :)

#1 is pretty cool. it is the best of the two, but to me, it seems like the focus is on the brick wall behind the dumpster and not really on the dumpster. maybe that's what you were trying to do; i don't know

#2 i think should be cropped a little bit kinda like this:
dumpedit.jpg

hope you don't mind

Both seem to be focused on nothing. #1 looks like it should be focused on the dumpster but it's just the wall....

What does TS stand for??? :scratch:

Tilt-Shift; It's a type of lens where you can tilt the lens axis (while still creating the same framed image as with a normal lens) and shift it up and down, side to side. They were originally made for architectural photography I believe but now seem to mostly be used for their tilting ability which gives the super shallow depth of field across an unusual plane. Miniatures are the "cliche" tilt-shift image, but I think Bitter has done a good job of keeping this look real life size, just emphasizing certain areas.

Not my favourite images, but :thumbup: for thinking outside the box.

Edit: Haha, the guy before me seems to have some personal opinions of Bitter as well as JimmyO. I guess they are two of the most "controversial" members on this forum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back