Editing an image for different device screens?

Gerardo_G

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I edited the following image to my satisfaction in one notebook. As basically all images I edit, it's intended for the web so anyone can see it in any device that can browse the web and has a screen. I assumed the proper screen angle on my notebook when I worked on it, always unsure because all the viewers will probably habe very different angles. After I finished editing and uploaded it, I opened it in a smartphone and it looked too dark, way more than the notebook in which I worked on it. After that, I also saw the image in a different notebook and it also looked a bit, this time with a little more yellow and not as grainy as in the first notebook. All this got me thinking about the hundreds of devices that will display the image and how it will look different in each one. Under those circumstances I feel lost. How can I edit an image to my satisfaction if many will see it very differently than what I intended? How do I know if this particular image is dark enough or too dark if I see it one way or another between one device and another? When I edited the image I tried for the backround to be around 95% black, not 100%.

1984738-Work2.jpg

So that's my situation.

Thank you in advance guys :).

Last edited:
Looks a bit dim and dark and moody on my iMac. As you have discovered, there is NO "best" device, and NO "one standard" brightness or degree of contrast across the spectrum of the world wide web and its many devices, OS's, and browsers!

You can't get them all. Go to a Best Buy and look at the display of TVs on the wall - you know how they typically have them all tuned to the same channel. Now look how different the colors look on the screens. Computers are the same.

So given the reality you've described you can just piss in the wind or you can calibrate your editing environment to the standard used by image professionals and at least know that you are part of a group that has identified a standard and adheres to it. Then if you share images with other image professionals you'll know we're seeing what you're seeing. We can't control what the mass public is doing but we can control ourselves. Amazon.com : X-Rite ColorMunki Smile (CMUNSML) : Computer Mice : Camera & Photo

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just wanted to add that editing on a laptop will always have ?s because of screen angle, even with calibrating. Eventually you'll want to get a monitor.

I also check the image on different devices. The monitor will always appear lighter then the others. Adjusting screen angle especially on a laptop is critical. I use a gray scale similar to this, and adjust the tilt until I can see all the steps.

Gamma22.gif

This is the one I leave up next to my editing window. Amazing how much a screen angle can change on on laptop without knowing it.

monitor viewing angle bar.jpg

Last edited:
Zombie thread.

Yes. But a question often asked because many don't understand how the internet/devices work regards digital images.

I figure after a year, they worked it out. IMO, start a new thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back