Educate me.

So if I go with a 610 or pricier, how long should you expect to use that body for? I'm thinking once your in a fx...all u upgrade is glass? Until technology surpasses that body...

It depends on the user -- some folks want the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out, while others are quite content with one camera body for any number of years. I've had my D40 for seven and a half years old and I have no intention of trading it in anytime soon.

D3X/D4S/D4 - Top notch product produced by Nikon. Seems this would be used by professional photographers making a living with their camera. $5000 plus.

D810/DF/D800- Excellent product for pro's and amateurs who just are not quite ready to, or just can't justify throwing huge bucks at camera at this time. $3000-3500

D750/D610- Fairly affordable camera and a great product. For someone building a business or who really enjoys photography as a main hobby.$2000-2500

D7100/D7000/D5300/D5200- A second tier DSLR for someone interested in photography, or the family photographer who would like to spend a little more then your entry level camera. 1000$ or less

D3300/D3200/D3100- Someone whose enjoying a DSLR camera for there household, or just breaking into photography. Their first DSLR....welcome to the addiction. $500

I think in your classification there should be a first level that defines Fx (full frame) and Dx (crop sensor) as different categories. Among crop sensor bodies, D7100 are top level cameras.
Among Fx, Df stands in a specific category, being an apparent copy of an analogic SLR and made for nostalgic photographers (could be me too in principle :) ).

Said that, if you are on a budget, and provided that your wife already has some lens, stay on crop (and there, D7100 /D5300 are already huge upgrades on D3100). If she only has the kit lens, again, almost anything will be a good upgrade. Maybe plus some good lens.
If your budget is flexible, for the kind of pictures she takes, yes, better to consider a full frame.

D3X/D4S/D4 - Top notch product produced by Nikon. Seems this would be used by professional photographers making a living with their camera. $5000 plus.

D810/DF/D800- Excellent product for pro's and amateurs who just are not quite ready to, or just can't justify throwing huge bucks at camera at this time. $3000-3500

D750/D610- Fairly affordable camera and a great product. For someone building a business or who really enjoys photography as a main hobby.$2000-2500

D7100/D7000/D5300/D5200- A second tier DSLR for someone interested in photography, or the family photographer who would like to spend a little more then your entry level camera. 1000$ or less

D3300/D3200/D3100- Someone whose enjoying a DSLR camera for there household, or just breaking into photography. Their first DSLR....welcome to the addiction. $500

I think in your classification there should be a first level that defines Fx (full frame) and Dx (crop sensor) as different categories. Among crop sensor bodies, D7100 are top level cameras.
Among Fx, Df stands in a specific category, being an apparent copy of an analogic SLR and made for nostalgic photographers (could be me too in principle :) ).

Said that, if you are on a budget, and provided that your wife already has some lens, stay on crop (and there, D7100 /D5300 are already huge upgrades on D3100). If she only has the kit lens, again, almost anything will be a good upgrade. Maybe plus some good lens.
If your budget is flexible, for the kind of pictures she takes, yes, better to consider a full frame.

Thanks. Really shows me how much I don't know about this topic lol. I think she has two lenses, the kit lens and a portrait lens. Not a huge mistake at this point to upgrade to a full frame. She shoots 2-3 weddings a year for close friends, but would like to make a go of a business. Budget is deffently not unlimited, but I can work my tail off to get her a decent camera, it's her 30th. I just want to make a solid investment for her.

Compared to many other hobbies, photography is actually relatively inexpensive.

I hear that. I hunt and fish :ambivalence:

Two years later, is that the D750?

I couldn't say for sure if there is any direct link from one to the other. Nikon's website has these broken down into I think three or four categories, very similar to your breakdown.

If you don't mind; what is your budget for the new camera? Also, if your wife is getting serious, has she started looking at lights, modifiers, etc.?

Two years later, is that the D750?

I couldn't say for sure if there is any direct link from one to the other. Nikon's website has these broken down into I think three or four categories, very similar to your breakdown.

If you don't mind; what is your budget for the new camera? Also, if your wife is getting serious, has she started looking at lights, modifiers, etc.?

I'd say the budget is in the 2-3 thousand range. Not completely set in stone yet. Keep in mind I need at least one lens after that as her currents wont work. If I could find a good kit for $3000 I think I'd be pretty happy. If I can remember right she has back drops, speed light, filters,diffuser, spare batts, photo props and I'm sure a few more.

Here's my $.02 worth.

If you want to stay with an APS-C sized sensor than go for the D7100. It's currently Nikon's highest level DX body. Camera technology has slowed down a bit so that camera manufacturers are only releasing small incremental upgrades in their newer models. The D7100 would be a good investment for several years of use. This would cost the least amount of money to upgrade the camera, with money left over to invest in some very nice quality lenses. Lenses will always be a better investment than getting the most expensive latest and greatest body on the market. In my 4 years of doing photography I've learned that it's the photographer that makes the image not the equipment. I own and still regularly use my D3100 along side my D7000. Coupled with some good quality lenses it still manages to amaze me with the photographs it takes.

If you think you want to invest in Full Frame (FX) then the cost for the body goes up quite noticeably leaving you with a bit less of your budget to invest in a lens. A camera like the D810 is geared more toward landscape photographers with its 36 Megapixel sensor. The picture files from that camera are HUGE, and next thing you know you will be buying extra hard drive storage to store all your photo's.

The D610 is the rough (FX) equivalent of the D7100 in terms of actual camera features/specs. The D750 is the newest model in Nikon's FX lineup which has only incremental upgrades over the D610.

IMHO - The smart photographer buys a camera but invests in good lenses. If you've got good quality fast glass you can work all day with a D7100 or even a D5300 and do very well. The better cameras will provide small, but important, capabilities as you move up in the business.
If you can afford both a top camera and top lenses then for gosh sakes buy them but if you need to scrimp a bit then scrimp on the body.

Here's my $.02 worth.

If you want to stay with an APS-C sized sensor than go for the D7100. It's currently Nikon's highest level DX body. Camera technology has slowed down a bit so that camera manufacturers are only releasing small incremental upgrades in their newer models. The D7100 would be a good investment for several years of use. This would cost the least amount of money to upgrade the camera, with money left over to invest in some very nice quality lenses. Lenses will always be a better investment than getting the most expensive latest and greatest body on the market. In my 4 years of doing photography I've learned that it's the photographer that makes the image not the equipment. I own and still regularly use my D3100 along side my D7000. Coupled with some good quality lenses it still manages to amaze me with the photographs it takes.

If you think you want to invest in Full Frame (FX) then the cost for the body goes up quite noticeably leaving you with a bit less of your budget to invest in a lens. A camera like the D810 is geared more toward landscape photographers with its 36 Megapixel sensor. The picture files from that camera are HUGE, and next thing you know you will be buying extra hard drive storage to store all your photo's.

The D610 is the rough (FX) equivalent of the D7100 in terms of actual camera features/specs. The D750 is the newest model in Nikon's FX lineup which has only incremental upgrades over the D610.

Thanks, very good info I'm learning. I think I understand the current market better then she does at the moment.

IMHO - The smart photographer buys a camera but invests in good lenses. If you've got good quality fast glass you can work all day with a D7100 or even a D5300 and do very well. The better cameras will provide small, but important, capabilities as you move up in the business.
If you can afford both a top camera and top lenses then for gosh sakes buy them but if you need to scrimp a bit then scrimp on the body.

I hear ya. Yesterday I was thinking of the D750, Today the D7100 sounds like a great option. I'm all about saving some cash and spending it on glass.

Are the full frames that much better in low light? Important to her for future wedding shoots.

I'd argue the D750 is the FX equivalent of the D7100.

Are the full frames that much better in low light? Important to her for future wedding shoots.

yes.

I'd look into a used D600/D610. That's putting you in the low $1000 range. giving you $2000 leftover to spend on your used Tamron SP 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 VC.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back