Embaressed

rmh159 said:
[...] If you're younger... I would suggest wearing a backpack, school t-shirt, etc and maybe make yourself look like a student. Then if you run into questions you can always pull the "It's a class assignment." card. I'm 26 and plan on doing that to start out.

It would seem that your suggestion would leave us old f***ts out in the cold, but quite the contrary, it inspires a variant suggestion: If you're older, wear a t-shirt saying "working on a photo class lecture." Or perhaps, a cap with the logo of a made-up photography school. They'll just gape in awe and let you pass. Just don't be carrying a tiny point-and-shoot when doing this, or you'll spoil the whole effect. ;)

I shot my first roll of tri-x on the streets today! I wasnt even planning it. I just happened to have a loaded camera in my backbag. I shot it in the Old Town of Tallinn, so it wasnt all that scary. Only the first few frames. The Old Town is filled with tourists anyway, and a lot of them are taking pictures. And now I wanna go again...

nitefly said:
It's not the fact that I'm embaressed about enjoying photography, it's just that I have a big ass lens and sometimes people look, and I just wish I didn't care.

I was thinking maybe if I invested in a smaller lens and kept my 28-200mm (my only lens atm) in my bag until i needed it then I would be more confident to get out and shoot.

I feel the same way. If I'm out wandering around in public with my DSLR I strip off the vert grip, put on a small prime lens, and leave the big obnoxious gear at home, or in the bag. I want it to be as small and inconspicuous as possible.

I'm much more comfortable shooting in public with my vintage cameras. People don't seem to take it so much like I'm invading their privacy when I'm using a wacky old camera. Maybe they think it's neat, or they assume the photos won't be very good, I'm not sure, but I never get a nasty look when snapping photos of strangers with my Rollieflex like I occasionally get with my DSLR.

Once in college, I needed to finish off a roll of film so I could develop it the next day and went across the street from my apartment to "waste" some film on the church that was there. Some dude came by and started laughing at me for no reason which only intensified my fears of photographing in public. It may just have been a fluke, but I got the feeling he was laughing at what I was choosing to photograph. It was really weird.
Now, I usually just photograph little kids and families at parks so I don't feel akward. Except if there is another photographer and they have a ton of equipment with them. Then I get afraid that my clients will think I'm less professional because I like to just use natural light.

Just start clicking away and then as you get closer, start up a conversation, it makes the person feel less invaded.

When shooting in the streets, keep the other eye open and look ALL around you at ALL times. I was once shooting a beauty crossing the street with a semi tele as she was walking right toward me. Out of no where I got hit in the side of my head by her boy friend coming up on my side of the street to meet her. Startled me as this nut started yelling at me. His girlfriend was very pleased to be apreciated on both fronts.

Photographers worry people think they are just some annoying 'street photographer' or something. But there is a difference in perspective between a photographer and a non-photographer. So much of it is attitude and a photographer conveys themself. If you have a tiny little camera and try to be really sneaky about it people probably won't like you. If you shoot pictures of everything (or at least pretend to :)) people think you're a tourist. If you walk around with a big SLR and lens and aren't shy about taking pics of anything people probably think you're a photojournalist.

Most people have no idea what 'street photography' so you can be whatever type of photographer you want to be.

An interesting discussion.

I have been self-conscious for many years, but the last few years things have changed. I am now living in one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world - Versailles. There are so many cameras, no one even notices. In addition I find things are different in Europe. Photography and a good camera are considered an art form and it is accepted the same as having an easel and paint brush.

With this acceptance, I have become much less self-conscious. It is still hard to ask a stranger to pose for you, but that too is getting better as I spend more time talking to people before asking to take their photo.

Mind you you have to be careful in other parts of the world - Sudan, be careful, in airports - DON'T anywhere, Women in some societies are off limits, etc. Be aware of local customs.

In Canada/USA we are spo prudish and worried about exploitation and personal rights. I think this makes a difference.

duncanp said:
i know what you mean... especially when your younger and i dont really know anyone my age for 30 miles around me that has photography as a hobby...
Boy do I know that feeling. All of my photographer friends are at least 20 years older than I am. That's one way I know that photography is a true passion of mine. None of my close friends really care about it, but I stick with it, and the enjoyment never fades.

I take pictures of the greyhounds racing at the dog track. At first I was embarassed because I was out there all the time for my own pleasure. Once I started getting paid for it, I wasn't embarassed about being there anymore. Now I'm more embarassed about the fact that the main thing I take pictures of is dogs- both the racing ones and my own at home.
:blushing:

nitefly said:
It's more than likely just me, but does anyone else get slightly embaressed or shy about taking their camera out and shooting in public?

It's not the fact that I'm embaressed about enjoying photography, ...

I'd be more embarassed that I can't spell "embarassed" .....

Um... I think you mean "embarrassed"?

Ahem.

And I feel that way a bit, too. I just got a film SLR and took it to the beach yesterday to shoot with it for the first time. I was feeling really self conscious about it, but no one paid me any attention at all- they were all busy doing their own thing and enjoying themselves. I think if you act low-key about it, people will react as if it's not a huge big deal. If you seem really nervous and worried about shooting, you're going to seem sketchy and possibly meet with more resistance. Just my thoughts on it.

Shooting on the street can be embarassing, but you just have to ignore other people. I really feel like a tourist in my own town when I go on the street. Alot of people may give you strang looks when you have your camera out and goin at it, but alot of people also respect you for going out and doing what you want to do.

cecilc said:
I'd be more embarassed that I can't spell "embarassed" .....

If you're going to knock me for misspelling one word, at least learn how to spell that word right yourself! Fool. :x

Anyway about the thread, I'm getting a 50mm lens sometime this week and I think/hope that will encourage me to go out and shoot more.
I have got a bit better anyway, I often go to the canal and countrysid with my 200mm lens which is way more than I would have used to. :D

ofc it would be easier with a leica lol... i find it easier now, a while after this thread was started, but the majority of the people on the streets or local are yobs, and even if your not photographing poeple or theym they will stare at you and intimidate you.

Yeah, but theyre not my problem. I'm ok around people like that as most of them are my friends, however I just get embarrassed around people in general, like anywhere I go like a football match or the river or whatever...

It would be so much easier if I knew someone round here who was into photography :( I'm sure there is, i just dont know any.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back