Erika Studio Portrait

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another from my shoot with Erika, this time in the studio.

Erika_Daryll Morgan Photography-2.jpg

C&C appreciated.

Thanks!

Nicely done; the specular highlights on the forehead are a little strong for my taste, but that's minor.

I think her pose and dead stare are odd.

Lighting profile is good--but a bit hot on her face like @tirediron mentioned.

Did you cut her out of the background? I'm on my phone but it looks like an amateurish cut.

edit: back on a PC, yeah dude, really with that cut?

on the pose: My eyes are going to one particular area of the frame--her pose is emphasizing that area. She's set in nearly full profile, but arching her back and pushing out her chest toward the camera, but then her face is still turned away. It looks forced.

Last edited:
I think her pose and dead stare are odd.

Lighting profile is good--but a bit hot on her face like @tirediron mentioned.

Did you cut her out of the background? I'm on my phone but it looks like an amateurish cut.

edit: back on a PC, yeah dude, really with that cut?

on the pose: My eyes are going to one particular area of the frame--her pose is emphasizing that area. She's set in nearly full profile, but arching her back and pushing out her chest toward the camera, but then her face is still turned away. It looks forced.

Yeah, she's cut out. I'd actually like some advice in that area. Usually my background composites look pretty decent, but it's pretty obvious in this one that it's Photoshopped, and I'm not sure what I did different.

The main thing that gives it away for me is her hair. There are zero hair ends visible.

The select and mask feature in PS 2017 is fantastic. If you haven't read up on it here's a link. Learn how to use the dedicated Select And Mask workspace in Photoshop CC. there are also several videos out there but it's fairly simple, and will eliminate those ugly edges.

One question that comes to my mind though, is if this was shot in a studio, why was it necessary to change the background? Why didn't you just save yourself the trouble and use something suitable to begin with?

One other personal opinion only, I find the choice of outfit slightly off. The hard waist line created by the black shorts, is to abrupt and accentuates a slight tummy bulge, in an otherwise fabulous figure.

I believe that is more due to the exaggerated stereotypical T&A pose rather than the outfit. Gotta say, not a fan of the pose at all, especially combined with that thousand-yard stare. And was something done to narrow her waistline?

I believe that is more due to the exaggerated stereotypical T&A pose rather than the outfit. Gotta say, not a fan of the pose at all, especially combined with that thousand-yard stare. And was something done to narrow her waistline?

I was trying to say it nicely :048:

And was something done to narrow her waistline?

I really think that's just the angle, like I mentioned about, plus his very short 50mm lens is exaggerating her head and bust since she appears to be leaning into the lens a bit and shot at a slight downward angle.

And was something done to narrow her waistline?

Think that was little accidental liposuction when cutting the area in the crook of the arm. Hadn't noticed it before but looks like part of the old background is in the corner of the crook also.

Last edited:
Yeah, I need to get more creative with my posing. There was no editing to her waist. But shooting with a longer lens probably would have helped.

I don't keep the as-shot background because my "studio" is a traveling studio and I don't like the wrinkles.

I was trying to say it nicely :048:

Sometimes the blunt NY-er in me spills out ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back