Ethics?

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been pondering this for a while. What's the proper way to photograph strangers on the street candidly? I live in a college town and there's always interesting people to take pictures of, but I'm not the type of guy to walk up to some stranger and say "May I take your picture? Act normal.":lol: Is the normal consensus that quick shots done stealthily are the best way to take full advantage of some of the things I see around here? Or am I SOL? Thanks.

Oy, I struggle with that too. I've only ever asked two strangers if I could take their picture... didn't turn out too bad and I'm glad I did it, but it's still awkward.

Point n shoot. If you are interested in taking more of that person, as you do it, just start a conversation and keep shooting away. If they are on the move, don't say anything, they probably don't care or didn't notice.

I was wondering too. My way is to take pics and then if the person looks at me, point the camera to the sky or something and look innocent. But if you really need one's consentment, just take your pics and then go see the person and ask if he/she minds...

I have done it Alexandra style, and just act like I was taking pictures that had nothing to do with them. *Walks away whistling*.

Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but are their any restrictions on taking people's pictures. Obviously, if they state they do not want their picture taken, you can not, and if you are not planning on publishing it, you don't need a model release, but is there anything else that is stated? As well, how about in countries that have a different culture and langauge? How would everyone go about that?

I always figured that things in public view were a free-for-all. I might be wrong--it's happened before.

From what I understand if you are in a public place then you can take whatever pics you want and use them anyway you want. It is only when you are taking pics in places that are thought to be private that you need releases. (Otherwise the paparazzi would have been sued so many times =p)

zedin said:
From what I understand if you are in a public place then you can take whatever pics you want and use them anyway you want. It is only when you are taking pics in places that are thought to be private that you need releases. (Otherwise the paparazzi would have been sued so many times =p)

I'm fairly certain that if you are taking an identifiable picture of a person and you want to make money off of the picture, you need a release. Otherwise, I agree with you. But...I could be wrong...the paparazzi thing does raise that question. :scratch:

If the photographs are to be used in an art context, then no release is needed. If they are used for any type of commercial purpose, you will need a release.

a wide angle lens might help as well, that way they think you're pointing the camera at somebody past them, otherwise just tell 'em what you're doing, no harm

stay away from families though

I'm fairly certain that if you are taking an identifiable picture of a person and you want to make money off of the picture, you need a release. Otherwise, I agree with you. But...I could be wrong...the paparazzi thing does raise that question. :scratch:

When shooting for profit, that is to sell an image to say, advertising a product or will in some way be used commercially, you need a release. If the shot is sold to a stock agency, a release is needed in case the shot is sold and used for profit. The law also states that if the shot is related to the publics "need" to know, no release is needed. So, fires, car wrecks, grand openings or publicly know individuals are open game. If the shot is to be for personal use and in a public place, no release is needed. (I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV.)

will turner said:
easy. buy a canon 1200mm and find a big hill to sit on.
So basically buy a telescope :)

Actually, wide-angle lenses work quite well for street photography, there is more depth of field so focusing is as important, you can also shoot from the hip easier, and you can take a picture of someone while not directly aiming the lens at them.

Just take the pictures, act confindent, don't act like someone is happening, just take your pictures. And if the person asks, just explain. Asking people first just makes them cheap models

My uncle used to have a lens that shot sideways, it had like a mirror on the end or something, it was years ago and cant really remember.

He said it allowed you to take photos of pretty girls without getting punched by their boyfriends/husbands :lol:

Most PJ video guys find themselves seeing through the viewfinder a scene as if they are detached, like watching on TV. This is how many of them seem fearless in the middle of a war zone during an intense firefight. Learn to do the same, act as if you are hiding behind your camera. It works, and most people don't even notice. The more self confident you act, the less attention you bring to yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back