Everything EVIL in you comes out

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

I use some of their brackets to hold my flash - not the cheapest of the cheap, but I found them to be strong enough to easily hold a heavy 580EX2 without it wobbling at all. This product is designed just for what you're after and should give a fairly firm hold over the camera.

* rubber tipped heavy duty clamps at the hardware store:

2 in. Spring Clamp-80002 at The Home Depot

* Small tripod ball head

* Bring the tripod head to the hardware store and find an appropriate bolt with matching thread pitch (I used to have it memorized but I forgot).

* Drill hole in the handle

* Bolt lock bolt and lock washers

* Hack saw the bolt length down

* Screw on ball head.

* You may consider a smaller offset hole and machine screw to lock the ball head in place.

I've done similar but usually for flashes or small P&S. You may need to shop around for a stronger more secure clamp for the larger camera.

QUESTION???

I want to mount my E-P3 to the handlebar of my bycycle to take some video while riding. Anyone have a DIY (read cheap but secure) solutions?

I'd personally be more inclined to buy a used GoPro that's small and has a protective case rather than putting an E-P3 on there that's exposed to the elements and other dangers.

I'd personally be more inclined to buy a used GoPro that's small and has a protective case rather than putting an E-P3 on there that's exposed to the elements and other dangers.
It is most likely to be a one-off anyway. I don't mountain bike but ride on the Greenway near my house. I'm trying to convince my partner to start riding and thought a video of a ride might help intice her to the fun.

Kinda funny that Cell Phones get a forum but Mirrorless cameras which are comprised multiple photographic equipment manufacturers (Leica, Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Fuji, Samsung, Pentax) still only get a thread. Oh well...

Here are some samples from a recent family trip. This is the first trip I decided to leave behind (gasp) my primary system (Leica) or my DSLRs (Canon Pentax). I headed out with the E-PL1 and my new OMD EM5. Olympus can't seem to get their act together and resolve the battery availability issue for the Olympus OMD EM-5.... so 1 battery was it.

7505436134_8ba7be60be_c.jpg

7505395820_03843c9197_c.jpg

7505395496_b5a42c56b4_c.jpg

7505395360_db977abaf8_c.jpg

7505394996_a7b06ab2e2_c.jpg

7505394884_2af08457ba_c.jpg

7505394762_25353fca4d_c.jpg

7505432342_cf39c22680_c.jpg

All of these are great. And I really AM intrigued by the idea of owning a mirrorless system. But I still just can't get over how much you DONT look like a photographer holding one. :p

Mark

QUESTION???

I want to mount my E-P3 to the handlebar of my bycycle to take some video while riding. Anyone have a DIY (read cheap but secure) solutions?
Surprised you don't already have a Manfrotto Superclamp ($26 on Amazon) or two somewhere in your gear bag to deal with that. I love those things, and it should work perfect for mounting the camera to bicycle handlebars (or almost anything else).

Personally, I wouldn't use any kind of a spring clamp for this. I'd use something a lot more solid-holding that can't possibly vibrate or slip or get bumped off, taking your gear for a ride with it.

Looking at clamps at Lowe's online, something like this should work: Shop Gampak 1" Rigid Clamp at Lowes.com for the secure clamp, then you just need the bolt/nut and washers to mount the camera to it. I'd probably line the clamp with a piece of rubber glued into it as well, to help prevent it from slipping/spinning on the handlebars, even though it will be tightened down. Total DIY solution cost: about $2 bucks.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Surprised you don't already have a Manfrotto Superclamp ($26 on Amazon) or two somewhere in your gear bag to deal with that. I love those things, and it should work perfect for mounting the camera to bicycle handlebars (or almost anything else).
Homer.jpg

I do, I do, but numbnuts here didn't think about that. I just gave it a dry run and I do believe you are most correct, sir. Cheers. :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Keeping this thread going...

7680966872_bd67b9f055_c.jpg

7680952750_7d6622b2c3_c.jpg

7674276826_1d6b6d9e70_c.jpg

All shot with an Olympus OMD E-M5. Recent shots are presented B&W because I just purchased a new toy... Nik Software Complete and SilverFX brought some fun back into shooting black and white.

OM-D w/ Pany 100-300 and 45-200 - Youth Soccer:

P7100222-L.jpg

P7100189-L.jpg

P7100179-L.jpg

P7100073-L.jpg

While I think I did okay, the camera, when compared to a dSLR, was not in the same league regarding C-AF. The C-AF on the Oly simply does not work, the images were shot with S-AF and the operator pumping the focus button. The EVF sucked when compared to a dSLR optical. but if one continued to follow the action with both eyes open, using the right when the EVF refreshed, and the left between refreshes, one could manage. This was five year olds, dunno if I could shoot something faster like seven year olds with the OM-D.

The more I work with the OM-D, the easier it is to get the shots I want. Hopefully I'm only an update or two away from a viable C-AF.

The DOF, as expected, is much more distracting due to lack of fast long lenses, multiplied by the small sensor, than my usual working dSLR's.

Gary

My new toy. I found it sitting on a used shelf at a local camera store for pretty cheap.

6bf0d9cef9c811e1a3f21231381313a9_7.jpg

I'm now looking at OM-1n's on ebay.

OM-D w/ Pany 100-300 and 45-200 - Youth Soccer:

While I think I did okay, the camera, when compared to a dSLR, was not in the same league regarding C-AF. The C-AF on the Oly simply does not work, the images were shot with S-AF and the operator pumping the focus button. The EVF sucked when compared to a dSLR optical. but if one continued to follow the action with both eyes open, using the right when the EVF refreshed, and the left between refreshes, one could manage. This was five year olds, dunno if I could shoot something faster like seven year olds with the OM-D.

The more I work with the OM-D, the easier it is to get the shots I want. Hopefully I'm only an update or two away from a viable C-AF.

The DOF, as expected, is much more distracting due to lack of fast long lenses, multiplied by the small sensor, than my usual working dSLR's.

Gary

I love #1, but they are all very nice! Thanks for the very helpful information, too. :thumbup:

Question to the OM-D shooters out there.....

Have any of you bought the two-stage grip for the body yet? If so, care to give your thoughts?

I went to my local shop the other week and they had them in the box without, but one of the staff members had their own with the grip. I felt the same way when I first slapped on a grip on my Nikon bodies. Damn good feeling. One down down side that I can see is the compromise with increasing the footprint. If it is an easy on/off without having to do a lot of mucking about would be a bonus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back