Excited my first L

Scuba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been nearly a year journey but bought my first L glass today and am super excited. About a year ago I started selling equipment to get my 5D and was supposed to get a 17-40 at the same time but nu wife wanted to keep the old camera so I was stuck with a 50mm 1.8. Today I ordered a 17-40 and I am stoked. First L glass and an wide angle zoom....the reason I wanted the full frame. Can't wait to use it!!! I needed this been having a hard time lately with motivation to go shoot.

Congrats on the new purchase. Based off of the reviews i have read I think you will be pleased. What do you think of your 50mm 1.8?

Congrats on joining The L Club. Someone will be along shortly to show you the secret handshake.

New tools are always fun to get and learn to use. Congrats.

The "problem" with L glass is... once you have one, you HAVE to have another... and another... and well, there goes the bank account. :razz:

Congrats on the new purchase. Based off of the reviews i have read I think you will be pleased. What do you think of your 50mm 1.8?

Honestly for the price I think it is amazing. The optics are soft at the edges/corners below f/4 so I didn't shoot much below that. A few times I used the softness for detail shots shooting nearly wide open. Sure the build quality is cheap and the AF is loud and slow, but again at the price point I think it is decent. It is ugly too. It does work and I didn't notice and CA issues. I have gotten some great shots with it.

Congrats on joining The L Club. Someone will be along shortly to show you the secret handshake.

I hope she's cute!

The "problem" with L glass is... once you have one, you HAVE to have another... and another... and well, there goes the bank account. :razz:

Yeah I know....I have my wish list, 70-200, 24-70, 300, 100 macro.

This is only the case if you want to get those 400+ mm primes. Those lenses under are "cheap" (in comparison)

That was my first L as well. Enjoy it!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I see you don't have it anymore. How come?

I had it when I used a crop body, and it wasn't wide enough. I sold it for a Sigma 8-16, which I sold when I went full-frame. I settled on the 16-35 for the extra stop and extra millimeter.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Congrats on your purchase! I'm also debating what lens will be my first L. I'm thinking of 70-200 f/4 or 135L. I would also love ultrawide coverage, but that 's not a must for me at this moment.

Congrats on your purchase! I'm also debating what lens will be my first L. I'm thinking of 70-200 f/4 or 135L. I would also love ultrawide coverage, but that 's not a must for me at this moment.

The 135L is sweeeeeet. I just got mine, and it is fantastic.

hukim0531 said:

From the feedback I got the 70-200 f/4 IS has much better optics and a 2+ stop Stabilization which makes it on par with the 2.8 non is in terms of speed and weighs less. Just sharing what I learned. Haven't played with the 135 yet but I have read it is great. Really depends on the use there. Kids I would say a zoom adults a prime for portraits. Also depends on your other gear.

hukim0531 said:

From the feedback I got the 70-200 f/4 IS has much better optics and a 2+ stop Stabilization which makes it on par with the 2.8 non is in terms of speed and weighs less. Just sharing what I learned. Haven't played with the 135 yet but I have read it is great. Really depends on the use there. Kids I would say a zoom adults a prime for portraits. Also depends on your other gear.

IS never puts a lens on par with a faster aperture in terms of "speed." You can't stop motion with IS, even though you may be able to shoot hand-held at lower shutter speed of a non-moving subject.

Most reactions

Back