explain to me

Christina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How people get black and white photos with slight color in them. Not the selective color but the ones that look not quite black and white but not bold coloring. Kinda like the color image has a Gray film over it.

Does that make any sense? Can anyòne tell me how its done?

you go in photoshop and instead of making the saturation higher, you make it lower.

Pretty simple, eh?

Good luck!

How people get black and white photos with slight color in them. Not the selective color but the ones that look not quite black and white but not bold coloring. Kinda like the color image has a Gray film over it.

Does that make any sense? Can anyòne tell me how its done?

did you see the photo in the contest that was like that?

So what do you mean? Do you mean very dessaturated photos (but not all desaturated)?
Or do you mean tinted ones that have ONE colour cast tint?

For the latter I do the following (with my stone age version of PS):

Step 0 - original photo
CreatingBW-tinted_Step0_origpic.jpg

Step 1 - Layers - New Fill Layer - Solid Color
CreatingBW-tinted_Step1.jpg

Step 2 - Solid Color - Color (!)
CreatingBW-tinted_Step2.jpg

Step 3 - Colours all set to 128 (conversion to b&w)
CreatingBW-tinted_Step3.jpg

Step 4 - New Adjustment Layer - Levels
CreatingBW-tinted_Step4.jpg

Step 5 - Blue level channel from 0 to 10
CreatingBW-tinted_Step6.jpg

Step 6 - Red level channel from 255 to 245
CreatingBW-tinted_Step7.jpg

That would be a tinted b&w ... though I don't know if this would then be called a duotone???

And I as randomly chose another photo (the church in my village was also a random choice of example photo, others could have been better examples, but hey, this was quick...) to partially desaturate it:

Step 0 - original photo
PartialDesat_Step0_origpic.jpg

Step 1 - Image -> Adjust -> Hue/Saturation -> Reds to -80
PartialDesat_Step1.jpg

Step 2 - Image -> Adjust -> Hue/Saturation -> Yellows to -80
PartialDesat_Step2.jpg

Does any of the two step-by-step explanation (of how I do it, Photoshop offers sooooo many ways to get to your goal, though) actually reach where you want to go to?

Thanks everyone and actually the photo that made me question it was the one 50ish with the girl againts the jutebox with a red dress on. But i cant remember who posted it and cant seem to find it again.

I just use the hue/saturation box and check the "colorize" button, then you find the tone you want, and the saturation of that tone.

Most reactions

Back