External hard drive recommendations ???

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by domromer, Nov 23, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I finally got all my photos together and it seems I have 110gigs of pics. I don't really want to store these all on my mpb. So it's time to buy an external hard drive. I don't really know much about them so I was hoping some of you guys could point me in the right direction. I'm looking to spend 150$ OR less. I'm looking for quality and storage capacity over speed.

Also is their a way to save the photos on the external and still be able to use iphoto as my main photo viewer?

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    get some standard seagate or similar harddrive .. and get some external usb or whatever housing, connect, and wohaa :)

3. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Most drives are made by Seagate or Western Digital these days, so take your pick. An off the shelf external 320 gig is about $100 these days. A housing and a standard 320 is about $100. So either way it's about the same.

4. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Take a look at a 1 Terabite Western Digital World Book. About $300 but the case will contain two 500 gig drives. You can set it up to be a single 1 Terabite drive, or as two separate drives with one configured to be a mirror back up of the other. If you are running a photo business you can also connect this to a network as it has built connectivity.

5. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I recommend buying two so you can have a second copy on the shelf. If you buy the drive and enclosure seperate pay attention to the interface so they are compatible. This can be a little confusing.

6. astrostu

astrostu Guest

7. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used to agree with you astrostu, but I've been thinking twice about them lately after hearing the story posted in the Beyond the Basics forum about how they handled a customer having a drive break. Giving them the option of replacing the drive or the data but not both.

8. BAB

BAB TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have Lacie and have not had any problems (knocking on the proverbial wood), but recently I have heard from several sources that Lacie are not reliable and problematic. Maybe I am a lucky one, I dunno. Seagate on the other hand, routinely gets great reviews and they have been making hard drives for a long time.

9. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for all the input. I've narrowed it down to a few models now I'm going to see who has the best prices. I think I'm going to end up getting it off Amazon as I have some credit there.

10. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you change your mind, I highly recommend www.NEWEGG.com

11. sneshanian

sneshanian TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i had a lacie, the enclosure died on me a little after a year, so i bought a new enclosure and am still using the hard drive. i just purchased a western digital mybook and am happy with it. ive heard a few people having the same problem i had with my lacie, and thats what caused me to change brands for my second HD.

i would personally stick with western digital or G-tech (a bit more expensive), g-tech has been getting good reviews and we have been using them at my workplace with no problems for about a year (im a apple computer tech).

heres a link to their site:

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVE.cfm

12. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know you might think it's more hassle than it's worth but if you have a large enough drive on your PC leave them there and use the external drive as a backup.

If (sorry WHEN) the drive fails you do not want to lose everything do you?

I speak from experience and now have a total of 9 hard drive devices at home ranging from 500Gb (external Seagate Drive) to 40Gb (Epson P-2000).

Back up: backup: back up: backup: Back up: backup: back up: backup: Back up: backup: back up: backup: