External hard drives?

Patriot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which external hard drives do you use to store your pictures? My WD passport just dies on me so I lost all of my pictures. The drive is running but it isnt sending a signal to the computer. I would like to get something more trust worthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
WDs are good, but like every HD in the World, they are not perfect.

Btw: not all hopes are lost. If the magnetic storage is not physically damaged, I believe you can recover your data for few bucks (like 50 or so). No signal might mean that just the tiny & cheap circuits between the magnetic storage and the USB port of your external hard drive are broken. On the other hand, if the magnetic storage IS damaged, you'll likely need thousands of dollars and it might not be possible at all.

Ciao!

I dont think thats it damaged in anyway or form. I can hear it humming. It was working one night and a few hours late the computer couldnt recognize it. I tried updating the drivers and rebooting. Next I want to try changjng usb cables.

I've always found WD reliable, like the others have said, none are infallible :(

I've had good luck with WD also., I have two, but I only plug one of them in once a week at most to back up, and the other about once a month, and leave them off the rest of the time. I figure it saves wear on the drives. I've had the first one I bought (the once-a-week one) for about three years now with no problems.

I use two WD drives that I sync every couple days. Haven't had a problem yet.

Try a raid setup. I use one that is a 5bay system and if a drive fails my data is still floating around on the other 4 drives.

Would deff recommend a raid system that is hot swappable

I hear that Seagate is better than WD. So I am using them for 2 years now and luckily no problems at all..

I have 2 WD 2TB and 3 Seagate 500GB with only one failure in the last 2 years. The failure was on the Seagate, which they replaced. I back-up all my images on 3 drives pretty religiously.

Anyone thinking of using RAID?

I am thinking of investing in one.. I have two offers now:

1- i-omega 4TB (two drives of 2tb) for about $600
2- Seagate 4TB (two drives of 2tb) for about $800 with cloud access

Any ideas?

I hear that Seagate is better than WD. So I am using them for 2 years now and luckily no problems at all..
I have never know anyone who deals with hard drives for a living make that statement.

Why?

I have two sets of 500GB Seagate as the main drive and I back it up on another identical one and on a WD. But the main is Seagte and no probs so far..

I have never know anyone who deals with hard drives for a living make that statement.

Why?

I have two sets of 500GB Seagate as the main drive and I back it up on another identical one and on a WD. But the main is Seagte and no probs so far..

I've got 6 Seagates, some 6 years old... still purring along.

Anyone thinking of using RAID?

Any ideas?

Fire, theft, flood, tornado, hurricane, power surge, lightning strike..........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back