Any ideas?

I am and looking hard at the Drobo FS

Anyone thinking of using RAID?

I am thinking of investing in one.. I have two offers now:

1- i-omega 4TB (two drives of 2tb) for about $600
2- Seagate 4TB (two drives of 2tb) for about $800 with cloud access

Any ideas?

I am and looking hard at the Drobo FS

Will have a look at it before deciding..

So how did you have your WD Passport setting.

I make sure my external hard drives are setting to maximize airflow through them to keep them cool.

I have 2 - 1 TB WD My Book Essentials that are a couple of years old now (no failures).

I have them laying down, and I put 2 strips of foam door seal on the bottoms. The foam door strips provide vibration isolation, and allow air to flow completely around each drive.

I just got a new hard drive but when I tried formating the new drive the old one was formatted. I now just lost every picture I've taken. Is there anyway to recover them?

If you didn't put new data, most probably a computer expert will be able to retrieve the data.. but if you put new data then it is never recoverable..

I unplugged the drive as soon as it was formatted. I looking online for a data recover software. Im not touching it until I find an answer

With computer gear, it's a question of when it will fail, not if. So everything important (well, at least of the digital variety) is redundantly backed up. All my images are stored on three 1 TB drives and synchronized each time I upload. I don't erase my memory cards until I can see the images on all three drives. I have a fourth drive which I do a full copy onto, which is kept off-site and brought in once a week. In addition to the images, it is a good idea to also burn your software onto a backup CD or DVD, because over the years, standards "drift", and you may not be able to access older media or images (yeah, I know everything is supposed to be backward-compatible... until it isn't).

I unplugged the drive as soon as it was formatted. I looking online for a data recover software. Im not touching it until I find an answer

OK, something here doesn't make sense. If you formatted, that implies that there is nothing on that drive since formatting wipes out the prior content. If you had both drives (old and new) connected to your computer, and formatted the NEW drive, you should be OK. If you formatted the OLD drive, then, you're out of luck. Assuming you did NOT format the old drive, you may have a connector failure or a controller failure, which means that the data still exists on the hard disk. In the future, get into the habit of doing a software shut-down of your drives before turning them off or unplugging them - the software shutdown flushes the cache and parks the disk heads in a safe way.

I formatted the wrong drive by mistake. The wd drives came with formatting software on them. When I tried to format the new one the old was selected by mistake. So far the.web says that I can get them so as long as i dont write data on it.

So, get in touch with WD and see what they recommend. I'm sure you're not the first one with that particular issue. Good luck. I suspect the data IS recoverable, but it will require you to spend some green making it so. Whoever said that the best things in life are free, didn't have photography as a hobby.

Patriot said:
I just got a new hard drive but when I tried formating the new drive the old one was formatted. I now just lost every picture I've taken. Is there anyway to recover them?

You will need data recovery software, it will be a less expensive alternative than a computer technician. Most software can dig deep even a on formatted drive.

Last edited:
Thats what I been looking for, but there is so many and I cant decide which is the right one. a free one or an highly expensive one. Im going to have to search reviews and youtube. I really dont know how many times I can try to recover them

OP...If you want a reliable external HD, try 2 or 3 little netbooks. I've found computer HD's are pretty reliable. Always remember...two is one and one is none.

I BU on 3 - 4 computers, 3 external HD's, 2 brands of DVD's (One brand is commercial, one brand is gold archival) and store some DVD's off site if a fire hits. One external HD is the desk model next to the computer. The other two HD's are different brands that are portable and go in a fire safe.

I also don't erase the mem cards I use. I got 6 bodies, each has a card and the cards take a long time to fill up. When they get near full, I pop in an empty card. So there is BU overlap here as well.

Now, I don't go BU crazy with all my stuff. The only things that go on the DVD's are my very good digital work and all my older good work that was scanned from negs. I don't want to lose my scanned negs. It will take years to get that work done, so BU overkill is cheap insurance for it.

Last edited:
slackercruster said:
OP...If you want a reliable external HD, try 2 or 3 little netbooks. I've found computer HD's are pretty reliable. Always remember...two is one and one is none.

I BU on 3 - 4 computers, 3 external HD's, 2 brands of DVD's (One brand is commercial, one brand is gold archival) and store some DVD's off site if a fire hits. One external HD is the desk model next to the computer. The other two HD's are different brands that are portable and go in a fire safe.

I also don't erase the mem cards I use. I got 6 bodies, each has a card and the cards take a long time to fill up. When they get near full, I pop in an empty card. So there is BU overlap here as well.

Now, I don't go BU crazy with all my stuff. The only things that go on the DVD's are my very good digital work and all my older good work that was scanned from negs. I don't want to lose my scanned negs. It will take years to get that work done, so BU overkill is cheap insurance for it.

If they were cost effective I would go for SSD.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back