Famed B&H Photo hit with discrimination suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been many times... I can't remember a single time I saw a female working the sales counter. I've seen non-orthodox Jewish men working the counter (especially in the used department upstairs) but never a female. I've seen a friendly asian guy working the floor directing people and handing out catalogs. I've seen females at the cashiers. So I think they won't have a strong case BUT my guess is that they'll probably just settle... but for $7 million? sounds like diggin for gold.

The amount listed in a civil case is arbitrary... and generally a lot higher than the actual amount awarded. It's the jury that will decide the amount. They'll calculate pain and suffering if any, lost wages from a denied opportunity, mental anguish... there's a whole worksheet they'll have to fill out.

And let us not forget that 1/3rd goes to the attorneys.

Forget about $7 million, if these allegation are true, I wouldn't want to buy anything from B&H. Nobody have a clean record but this is pretty rediculous.

I don't think it was planned at least by the one cashier already working for them. The others may have been plants after the cashier sought an attorney.

But, I believe that they are discrimanated against. I have been comming to Israel for 7 years now for my compnay. This is how strict MALE operated relegious people run their businesses. Men do the sales and important jobs (Jewish or Arab). Women and other ethinic groups get the low pay service jobs. Even the ethnic Jewish Males get the shaft on job choices. This is not everwhere just the more strict run stores. I have been to 5 camera shops here in Tel Aviv in the last month, 2 of them very large. I have yet to see a woman in them either (as an employee). I have seen shops with women sales but these were all womens clothing stores. But at the electronic stores, hardware store (they have ACE here), Office Depot, and mall shops, all the sales people are males!

I have not been to B+H and can't say one way or another about them. But they are extremely similar in their store practices as strict Jewish establishments. Which tends to make me believe the complaint. Especially after learing of the previous lawsuit. The article does state in one area there were 75 men and 1 woman but does not elaborate on the positions. Even if that 1 woman was in sales with the 75 men they are still in deep dodo. Being a private run business or not. They still have to obide by US law against discrimination! Once a business reaches a certain size it becomes harder to discriminate (at least the way the laws are written). And with 800-900 employees they are definately in the top tier!

Forget about $7 million, if these allegation are true, I wouldn't want to buy anything from B&H. Nobody have a clean record but this is pretty rediculous.

This is said too often till people realise that everyone else often has higher prices, then they go crawling back.

In any case, as far as not having a clean record, this is about the tamest corporate "embarrassment" allegation that I have seen on the net. Want to put your weight behind something then boycot Sony for repeatedly making a business model of screwing their users, not some company because a few people claim they aren't being promoted due to discrimination.

It's not just a Jewish thing. The Arabs over here do this as well.

Hey! Common ground!

I think you're onto something here. :lol:

Jon

I would say let them have their day in court before you condemn them. If they lose their case or if they settle out of court to make it go away, then make your mind up as to if you will do business with them or not. The filing of a civil suit doesn't mean automatic guilt.

I would say let them have their day in court before you condemn them. If they lose their case or if they settle out of court to make it go away, then make your mind up as to if you will do business with them or not. The filing of a civil suit doesn't mean automatic guilt.
+1 Internetz to you.

This is the unwritten "jury tainting" portion of the trial. Get lots of publicity over your lawsuit out there and sway public opinion. Often this alone will bully a company into offering a settlement.

Which the attorney takes 1/3rd, of course.

This is said too often till people realise that everyone else often has higher prices, then they go crawling back.

In any case, as far as not having a clean record, this is about the tamest corporate "embarrassment" allegation that I have seen on the net. Want to put your weight behind something then boycot Sony for repeatedly making a business model of screwing their users, not some company because a few people claim they aren't being promoted due to discrimination.

well, there are plenty of other online stores that have somewhat similar price. As far as the discrimination go, it's go much farther than the the people in the complaint, it just that no one esle bother with it. We'll see how this work out though.

As far as the discrimination go, it's go much farther than the the people in the complaint, it just that no one esle bother with it.

And you know this how?

As has been mentioned already, we don't even know if these people were qualified for the job they applied for.

Absolutely. However, I wouldn't condemn them if they settled out of court.
That does not imply guilt. Lawyers often hire other legal experts who do risk assessment. They assess the risk of winning or losing the case, and the possible costs involved. Then they will begin a bargaining process, in other words, determining if it is worth taking your chance in court, or just paying to make it go away. It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.
You can sue a chicken, so that means nothing in itself.

If they go to court and the evidence is overwhelming enough to sway a jury, then they will be "proven" innocent or guilty.

J.:mrgreen:

If you condemn BH for settling out of court, what does that say about the plaintiff(s)?

do what is right versus an easy path to early retirement.

well BH Photo have plenty of money, if they truly believe that this case have no merit whatsoever, they'll take this issue to the Supreme Court if they have to, just so others won't get on the sue happy wagon. The interesting thing is they already settled once, we'll see what they do this time. If they win in court, they won't be bother with these kind of cases again.

well BH Photo have plenty of money, if they truly believe that this case have no merit whatsoever, they'll take this issue to the Supreme Court if they have to, just so others won't get on the sue happy wagon. The interesting thing is they already settled once, we'll see what they do this time. If they win in court, they won't be bother with these kind of cases again.

This kind of case will never go to the Supreme Court, unless the Judge does something totally out of left field in the case. It's a civil rights and discrimination case. These issues have already have legal precedence, and laws written into legislation. Only if a court, tries to legislate from the bench, which does happen quite often these day's, could the supreme court even consider hearing it. Then the issue would be the SC slapping a lower appeals court around for trying to legislate from the bench.

I would be money that this case will either be thrown out of court, or settled out of court. I doubt it will ever go to trial. But, stranger things have happened.

J.:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back