Family portrait C and C

SethAlbritton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I for got my umbrellas, so the flashes were not diffused so this one may look a little harsh. The family just purchased new land so they wanted it in the picture. this is the reason my shot is so wide. I had the shot set up for just the top part of there body but then they decided they wanted the dog to lay down so I had to photo shop the exposure correct on him. these were the first two pics I edited, more to come.

I had a couple facebook me and ask if I could do their wedding pictures like these.

To me these looked to flashed and the back ground is to underexposed. Is this flash style ok or should I try to make them way less flash. DO you think umbrellas would have done the trick. Also, How can I get the sky with out blacking out the trees? This is my third shoot with the flashes. I need to be in my back yard practicing.

DSC_0038FB.jpg

This women is sunburned, she jsut came back from the beach. Her skin looks like it does in the picture. I think I should desaturate the reds, but in real life she looks like this. What do you guys think
DSC_0045.jpg

The first pic should be cropped a little tighter. Also the dog looks like it was sneaking in the photo instead of actually BEING in the photo. Might want to crop him out or frame him in the photo more.

The 2nd pic is nice, but her hair shouldn't be cropped out like a piece is missing.

C&C per req:

1. You're right, they do seem a little 'flashy' to me. I think my method would have been two strobes with either umbrellas or soft-boxes, placed at about 45 with one dialed down about 2/3 - 1 stop. As far as the composition goes, I would have preferred a slightly more elevated shooting position and zoomed out enough to inlcude all of the dog since he (she?) is clearly part of the family.

2. My main concern is the hair covering her right eye. It gives the impression that there's something physically wrong. I don't see any issues with colour or saturation but the monitor I'm using right now is not colour-corrected, so take that for what it's worth.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Most reactions

New Topics

Back