Feeling the need to buy a new lens... But what?

Aakajx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I'm wanting to buy a new lens.. But I'm not sure what to get. There's lot I would love to have.

I have a 24-105mm
2.8 70-200 II
50mm 1.8

i would like a macro lens 100mm
then I'd love a good portrait lens...
I'd like a good wide angle lens..

And the list goes on..

Still I'm really stuck on what to buy.

Well if you buy a good macro you automatically have a good portrait lens assuming you buy the appropriate focal length. Looking at your kit I'd say though you have 3 good portrait lenses already

My diagnosis is that you have a case of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Some people have been able to shake it off without medication, while others wallow in it and end up spending too much money.

My advice is to wait a few days to see if the symptoms moderate. If you have absolutely no intention of dropping this nasty condition, then just sit down with paper and pen and list what kind of photography you enjoy, and then try to do it with your existing stable of lenses. If you can't do what you want to do, then you will know what lens you need.

Or get a speedlight.

As to portrait lenses, use either the 24-105mm at the upper end, or the 70-200 anywhere, or the 50mm.

I think you have the middle range focuse pretty much covered, I would probably go for a wide angle if I had your lens.

2.8 70-200 II
50mm 1.8
these 2 are already fantastic protrait lens and a wide angle would provide you with much more new capability.
I can recommend the 10-22, although I'm admittedly far from an expert user I'm very happy and satisfied with it.

If you have the stregth, I too would advice it would be the wisest to wait at least a week or even a bit more before you decide. Take a couple of days off from the question and revisit it with a "fresh" mind :)

Go buy yourself a UWA .. then go have fun photographing car shows, buildings, large landscapes .. learning how and when to distort .. fun stuff :)

I'm suffering from the same disease and can't get out of it... Have somehow walked out of the Exposure 2014 Show in Toronto, 3 hour long trips to various Henry's stores, numerous hours on,one at nikon, sigma, and tamron sites... And even more here! And so far I have gotten more and more confused as to what I want to drop some hard earned cash on!
I've got: D700 body with 50mm 1.8, 24-85 3.5-5.6, 70-300 4.5-5-6 and have the gambit of kit lens covered there I suspect... But now have this ache that says I should be replacing the kit lens with 2.8 lens'... But I also crave an ultra wide and ultra zoom and an all in one travel... Have looked at both tamron and sigma cuz the Nikkor are out of range right now... The new 28-300 is intriguing as an all in one travel lens but the 3.5 means I'm just duplicating my present set of lens so I'm holding off on that as long as I can... I like the idea of the 150-600 cuz I want to get more into wildlife and the 300 isn't cutting it. It that isn't a lens I would take to Europe this summer so it's not a priority right now... Tried out a 24-70 2.8 yesterday and am thinking this might be the best replacement bet as it would be my go to travel lens, then just take along the 70-300 for the times when I can't walk closer to the subject... But an ultra wide 10-20 would be nice too... Or maybe a prime 28 for the streets of Paris... Or maybe...😧😱... Sorry I can't help you more but as you can see I'm suffering from the same disease... I agree with others though that you seem to have the middle range covered quite nicely so I'd be looking more at the ultra side of it and decide which end you want to get into first and concentrate on that... I like your situation better than mine! I think I might just settle with what I have and put the money towards a new MacBook Pro that I can tote around with me on my trip this summer

All the lenses you already have are excellent portrait lenses. You mentioned a desire for a wide angle, or Ultra Wide Angle. If this is the case, look into the new Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM lens. The 16-35mm is a excellent zoom range for this type of lens, you also get great quality "L" glass, and some image protection with IS. If your camera is a good low light performer, you can dial in a higher ISO to overcome the f4. But, if the lens is shot outdoors in regular sunlight, f4 should do nicely. Filters on this lens will be a bit more expensive, since the outer element is so large. (82mm) The cost of the lens is less than the f2.8 model, and $1200 USD. This lens is also a full frame lens, as all Canon "L" quality lenses are, but can be used on a cropped body with no problem. For a cropped body (7D, 50D, 70D, 60D and other older bodies) Canons cropped lens the EF-S 10-22mm USM lens is the ticket. That lens gives you a area of view as 16mm to 35mm, the glass and image quality is astounding, but the lens lacks the seals that are found on "L" quality glass. Filters on both of these lenses must have a narrow or thin rim. This adds to the filter expense, but will eliminate vignetting at the widest zoom level. I own both of these lenses to fit my 7D, and 6D, so I speak from experience.

I LIKE the sound of a stabilized 16-35mm f/4 lens....both Canon and Nikon have introduced one within the last fe years, and both have received very positive reviews. Good focal length range, nice size, stabilizer for panning and shooting in the wind, or from unstable shooting platforms. Great suggestion! PLUS, 16-35mm has ALL of the "traditional" rectilinear wide-angle lenses in one lens!!! 16mm, 17mm,18,21,24,25,28,35...they are ALL in there!!!!

Wow glad I'm not the only sufferer of neednewglassitous it's a pretty common illness within the photography geeks :D I'm debating wether too sell my 70-200 f4 IS and get the beast 2.8 IS ii version OR keep the 70-200 F4 IS and get a 100mm macro I agree with others about leaving it a few days & thinking..I've bought lenses too quickly before and regretted it & wished id saved for another

I'm always wanting lenses. Ones I have in mind are the 70-200 f/2.8, 24-85 or something similar in the mid range, 17-55 f/2.8, and a few primes. Right now I only have the 18-105 kit and tokina 11-16 with a 70-300 vr on its way.

One can never have too many lenses :p.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And bags I'm addicted to dslr bags lol!! just order and awesome crumpler full photo backpack 😃

I'm currently drooling over new Tamrom SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 VC but it's out of stock everywhere! Seems like everybody is after it :hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back