What is the best 50mm lens

shaylou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Want to know what is the best 50mm lens for a Canon full frame.
Price is not relevant.

Thanks

Greetings Shaylou...I use the Canon USM 50mm f (1.4) on my EOS 5D and 1D. I have great results, sharp on all apertures, nice Bukeh, great colour rendition. I would recommend it. I tried the Canon EF 50mm f (1.8) mark II once and it gave me great results as well however I think that the f (1.4) is much better. Don't hesitate to let me know if you want further details or any information's that might be of use to your choice.

Greetings Shaylou...I use the Canon USM 50mm f (1.4) on my EOS 5D and 1D. I have great results, sharp on all apertures, nice Bukeh, great colour rendition. I would recommend it. I tried the Canon EF 50mm f (1.8) mark II once and it gave me great results as well however I think that the f (1.4) is much better. Don't hesitate to let me know if you want further details or any information's that might be of use to your choice.
Forgot to mention, there is a faster version from Canon available, the EF 50mm f(1.2), it is very good as well but very,very heavy...the f(1.4) is a good compromise

1.8 Good $110
1.4 Gooder $350
1.2L Goodest $1,600

Buy the 1.4.

I have the canon 50mm 1.4 and it fantastic. Build quality is nice and it's sharp. Def worth the money. I never used the 50mm 1.2L. From reviews I read it's not worth the money compared to the 1.4 but like I said that's not from hands on experience just online reviews.

Looks like these days, one of the better lenses is the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART. Roger at Lensrentals tested a number of samples, and even the WORST-performing Sigma was better than every,single Canon 50mm f/1.2-L he tested. He tested seven each of the Sigma 50 ART, Canon 50/1.2-L, and seven of the Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus. The Otus in not a 50mm lens, but 55mm, and is priced at $3,990. The Sigma is $995. The Canon 1.2-L is about $1619. The Sigma performs significantly better than the Canon 1.2-L lens, but then, it is newer, and is Sigma's second effort aimed right at the mighty 1.2-L; Sigma also had an earlier 50mm f/1.4 lens, priced significantly less than this new ART model, and it too performed better than the Canon 1.2-L, with significantly less chromatic aberration and was a little bit sharper too, back a few years when that lens was I think $499 or so. It's interesting that as Sigma is making significantly better lenses, they are raising their prices significantly above the low-rent neighborhood they used to be in.

LensRentals.com - Yet Another Sigma 50mm Art Post

A nifty review of the Sigma 50 ART against the Canon 50/1.4 EF (and some Sony 50/1.4 ZA samples) is found in this unusually-styled review done by a Korean site.Gear for Image :: Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art Review

Sigma has a newer 50mm f1.4 which is more updated than the Canon, check out the reviews and comparisons as the Sigma really does come out on top over the Canon's older design.

Of course that doesn't mean the canon f1.4 is a slouch, its just not necessarily top.

The 50mm f1.2 is a bit of mixed bag from what I recall reading, though its price and the fact that most are happy with the f1.4 means there are not as many views about it generally going around. By all means give it a look, but realise that at f1.2 the depth of field is tiny, its very creative; but at the same time many find it impractically wide (even 1.4 is oft too wide)

Edit actually just read Derrels post above ;) Seems the Sigma even beats the f1.2!

Looks like these days, one of the better lenses is the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART. Roger at Lensrentals tested a number of samples, and even the WORST-performing Sigma was better than every,single Canon 50mm f/1.2-L he tested. He tested seven each of the Sigma 50 ART, Canon 50/1.2-L, and seven of the Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus. The Otus in not a 50mm lens, but 55mm, and is priced at $3,990. The Sigma is $995. The Canon 1.2-L is about $1619. The Sigma performs significantly better than the Canon 1.2-L lens, but then, it is newer, and is Sigma's second effort aimed right at the mighty 1.2-L; Sigma also had an earlier 50mm f/1.4 lens, priced significantly less than this new ART model, and it too performed better than the Canon 1.2-L, with significantly less chromatic aberration and was a little bit sharper too, back a few years when that lens was I think $499 or so. It's interesting that as Sigma is making significantly better lenses, they are raising their prices significantly above the low-rent neighborhood they used to be in.

LensRentals.com - Yet Another Sigma 50mm Art Post

A nifty review of the Sigma 50 ART against the Canon 50/1.4 EF (and some Sony 50/1.4 ZA samples) is found in this unusually-styled review done by a Korean site.Gear for Image :: Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art Review

Sigma is a great choice but I think the comparison is a bit unfair due to the massive price difference. the EF 1.4 is a good lens for the price.

That said, 50mm is boring. Buy an 85mm.

Sigma is a great choice but I think the comparison is a bit unfair due to the massive price difference. the EF 1.4 is a good lens for the price. That said, 50mm is boring. Buy an 85mm.

Considering what the question is this is not helpful...

The even newer Zeiss OTUS 55mm f/1.4 APO, in F-mount, or EF mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigma is a great choice but I think the comparison is a bit unfair due to the massive price difference. the EF 1.4 is a good lens for the price.

That said, 50mm is boring. Buy an 85mm.

You must be doing something wrong if 50mm is boring

Want to know what is the best 50mm lens for a Canon full frame.
Price is not relevant.

Thanks

I don't have a huge lens selection but absolutely love my Canon 50mm f/1.4. Great color and bokeh and solid focus. I use it whenever I can. I've never used the 1.2L or any off brand lenses. If price is no concern then you may as well go with the 1.2L or one of the other lenses mentioned for the best quality possible. But I think the Canon f1.4 is a great all around balance of everything for myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sigma is a great choice but I think the comparison is a bit unfair due to the massive price difference. the EF 1.4 is a good lens for the price. That said, 50mm is boring. Buy an 85mm.

Considering what the question is this is not helpful...

I think I have been more than helpful. You asked for an opinion and got it.

Most reactions

Back