film camera for night/star photography

ki_cz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent film camera for night photography, focusing mostly on the moon and stars, not really getting into anything "telescopic". I'm wondering if maybe somebody could give me some tips on what kind of camera/lens I could be looking at for this kind of shooting?

Thanks!

Well if you want a wide angle of view I would suggest a wide lens (something in the 20mm-30mm range) most if not all lenses can focus to infinity so the stars will in focus. If you want a lens that will allow for the moon to take up the whole frame the you would want a telephoto lens like 200mm-300mm, I think that any camera that will meter should be fine, and autofocus maybe beneficial as well

Get something old. A Nikon FE2 has a bright viewfinder that is easy to manually focus in the dark. Modern cameras with their fancy electronic AF will just annoy you.

Also most critically you need something with a cable release. A Nikon FE / FE2 / FM are also mechanical and will keep shooting when the batteries die.

Take these only as an example. Pretty much every similar older mechanical film camera with a bright viewfinder, clear focus screen, and cable release will work for this.

The Canon EF body is an exelent choice for night photography. As far as shooting the moon goes I don't have any experiance on that so I have no clue as to what to advise lens wise.

Most reactions

Back