filter help?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Kathleen, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Kathleen

Kathleen TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm thinking about getting a filter for my Canon rebel. The one I'm in need of would be for shooting sunsets. I only own two lens, Sigma 70-300 and the 50 mm f 1.8. I know the 50mm is used more so in portrait photography, but could I use this for the sunsets with good results? If yes what filter would I need. If not what filter for my 70-300? I'm about to purchase a circular polarizer for my 70-300. I'm new to using filters, so this may be a dumb question, would I still use a lens hood?

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, Kathleen, the only filter I can think of that you might need for sunsets is a neutral gradient filter. This will darken the sky by a stop or there about so that you won't have too dark a foreground. Any colored filtering can be done in an image editor.

I don't know why you would need a lens hood if you are shooting into the sun on purpose.

3. Kathleen

Kathleen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Mike. The lens hood question wasn't for shooting sunsets. It was about use or not use the hood while using a filter.

4. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    use the correct white balance option and exposue properly and you won't need a filter.

auto white balance is not the correct option as it is trying to correct the temperature . Test out the options and see what works best for you

IMHO , one always uses a lens hood, with or without filters, however with a polarizer it is going to make life difficult for moving, so you may need to remove it for this filter.

5. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are starting to use filters I would suggest looking at either the Cokin or better the Lee square filter systems.

For sunsets I would also recommend the "Split Neutal Density (ND)" Filters. 2 stops (or for Lee filters .6) is the most common. Get a soft edged one.

They come in soft or hard edge versions and are rated:
    1 stop (.3)
    2 stop (.6)
    3 stop (.9)

I would suggest staying away from the screw in kind except for possibly the Polarizing ones. If you go for screw-in, get one in the largest size you need and then get "Step-Down" rings for any other lenses you use.

6. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    GND or split ND filters can be replicated in photoshop if you are proficient in it at all.

Circular polarizer cannot be duplicated. I would recommend that as your first filter. And whatever you decide to buy I would get filters for the largest diameter you will need and use step up rings for the smaller ones.

If you end up getting a Cokin system you will just get an adapter ring for each size that you have. Hope that helps.