Finding an assistant position

Pariah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering what is the best way to go about getting a job as an assistant. I've got a list of local photographers that I like. Should I just show up with my portfolio and resume? Call first and ask if they're even looking for an assistant? E-mail and letter writing is out, because it seems far too easy for those to just get stuck in the trash can or deleted. I have experience and a good portfolio, I've been selling photos for a few years, I have a degree in digital media (did lots of photography, retouching, design, etc.), excellent Photoshop skills, and excellent references from previous employers who will tell photographers that I'm a very hard worker. I have a decent amount of customer service/retail/sales experience, too.

I feel like my chances are pretty good, but I don't want to mess up my first impression and come off as unprofessional or desperate.

Also, assistants usually get paid, right? I know I'm not going to get rich doing this, and that's perfectly fine, but we're on a bit of a tight budget, so a paid position would definitely be good. If it were unpaid, I'd be limited to evenings and weekends...which wouldn't be bad, but a full-time position is what I'm going for.

I don't see a problem with calling them up and asking if they would consider hiring an assistant. Be ready to make an appointment with them or offer to E-mail them with more info and a link to your on-line portfolio.

They might not have time to talk to you, when you call...but if you e-mail or send them something, they can look at it, at their leisure. They should be much less likely to throw it out because you have already introduced yourself.

Obviously, a friendly, outgoing and professional manner will help with the initial phone call and meeting. This is especially important when trying to land an unsolicited job...because they don't necessarily need to hire anyone...let alone you.

Some will pay, some won't. Some will let you shoot, some won't let you do anything but get their coffee. It's everywhere and in between. The important part is that you are learning something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back